Forum Discussion

DanayaBryant
Qrew Trainee
14 days ago

Reports & Charts - Managing Client-Specific Name Visibility

Managing an app with over 975 clients and nearly as many users, we've found it simpler to streamline permissions by assigning everyone to a single role labeled "Client User" for external clients.

Regarding the visibility of report names across different client profiles, I want to ensure that users associated with one client can't see the names of reports meant for another client.

For example, let's say we have reports named "ABC Client Report" and "XYZ Client Report." How can we prevent users from the XYZ client from seeing the "ABC Client Report" name in the list of Reports & Charts while still keeping them in the same role?

Current permissions are already in place to ensure they are only seeing their company's data, so I'm only concerned about the names appearing in the list.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to tackle this would be really helpful. Our goal is to maintain client confidentiality while keeping things user-friendly for everyone involved. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

• I have long felt that the traditional list of reports and charts is completely not useful for my clients. We never have the discipline to maintain a curated list of valid reports.  So my solution really is the concept that if it's a useful report, then it should have a button on a dashboard appropriate to the users role and we try to have the users take responsibility to make sure their dashboards only have valid links on them. Over time , the needs change and ideally the user would come along and say we don't need this on the dashboard anymore but we need a link to a new report that will do this other thing.  So the go to Admin and ask for links to be changed. 

On that theme, a solution is to have a table of reports ie a table with URL links to reports, and you drive permissions on that table in the same way you're driving permissions for access to the data. Then you can put a report of reports onto the dashboard of the app or linked from a dashboard button. Then you go through all your reports and turn them off visibility either for all users or All users except the admin role. 

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander

Expanding slightly on Mark's answer, I start applications now with the Roles set to hide all the Tables.   If the User cannot get to the Table directly than the Reports drop down is not available.

Then their dashboards have to have the reports required.