[The QuickBase Knowledge Base is your library of frequently-asked questions that help you better customize your apps to solve your business problems.]
You can create an automation that will allow you to keep track of who is moving the cards on a Kanban board. HereÕs how:
1. Create two new fields: a Text field called "Change Log", and Formula - Text field called "Last Modified By (Text)".
2. Edit the properties of the two fields. For the Change Log field, check ÒLog the edits to this fieldÓ
For the "Last Modified By (Text)" field, enter this for the formula: UserToName([Last Modified By])
3. From your appÕs home page, click Settings
4. Next to Automations, click + New
5. Choose When data changes
as the trigger type.
6. Set up the automation to trigger when a record is updated on the table where your kanban board is located, only when the field used for your kanban columns is changed.
7. Click Add an action
8. Choose Modify record(s) as the action type, then click Finish
NOTE:If after clicking Finish, you get a message saying, Òhere are some potential child records you could modifyÓ, click *OR modify record(s) from a different table*
9. In this case, the record which triggered the automation and the record we want to modify are the same. So again, under Table, choose the table your kanban board is on.
10. Under Which Records, set up the filter to match the Record ID# in the action to the Record ID# of the triggering record. This tells Quick Base that the triggering record should update itself, as seen here:
11. Under Add Fields, click Select fields
, select the Change Log field, then click Add
12. After you click Add, a box will appear to fill inthe value you want to write to the Change Log field. You can use the
menu to select values from the record to build a log message like this:
13. Click Save & close
Now, any time one of your users moves a card between columns on the kanban board youÕll have a log of those changes. To learn more, check out these resources: