Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja09-10-2016 01:33

• 1.  Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 02-03-2016 19:34

I'm triyng to create a drop down that will do one of two things.  The Field is named Payee.  The two options in this drop down field are "Client" and "Vendor".  If the Payee is Client, the process stops there.  if the Payee is Vendor, I want another drop down to populate from my Vendors Table.  I'm not quite sure how to set that up.

• 2.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 02-04-2016 16:28
    One way to do this:

Say the [Payee] field is located in the "Payments" table.

You'll need a relationship from your Vendors table to the Payments table - "Vendors" would be the parent table.

Relationship:  1 Vendors has many Payments

From that Vendors table - you'll have the [Related Vendor] field, and a reference proxy field such as [Vendor Name].

So on the Payments form - you add a dynamic form rule

If [Payee] is equal to the value "Vendor"

Show [Vendor Name].

This displays the [Vendor Name] dropdown when [Payee] = "Vendor", otherwise it hides it.

So if [Payee] = "Client" - you're done.  [Vendor Name] remains blank.

If [Payee] = "Vendor", then you can select from the [Vendor Name] dropdown.

• 3.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-09-2016 02:39
    Can we have a conditional drop down from within the same table?

• 4.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-09-2016 02:41
    You would have to describe your situation with a little more detail.

• 5.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-09-2016 02:49
    I have field Development Type, which has three values to choose from.  These are long descriptions.  Then I have a Development Code field in the same table.  These are two letter codes corresponding to Dev Type.  For example, a refurbishment is always known as RR and extension  is RE.  What I want the user is to select the dev type and the dev code shows the right code for that. In MS Access, I could achieve it without having  to save a table.

• 6.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-09-2016 03:01
    You would either have to do that with a form rule, which obviously only works in forms, and not grid edit, or else just make the second field to be a pure formula field based off the data entry in the first field.

• 7.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-09-2016 04:23
    Thanks. Could you kindly give me an example of form rules?

• 8.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-09-2016 11:17
    if there is a one for one relationship between Development type and Development Type,  make a table for the choices even though it would be a small table with only three records in it. And then I would have a relationship  and pull in both the development type in the development code from that table.

And alternative would be a hard coded formula to calculate the value of the development code but I don't think it's good practice to do that become because it becomes very obscure how one would add a new drop down choice.

I would not recommend using for rules because they don't working grid edit.

But having said all that and example of a formal role would be this
    When development type equals Choice 1
    Change the value of development code to Code1

• 9.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 09-10-2016 01:33
    Many thanks for your help.

• 10.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 10-22-2017 07:28
    Mark

Fairly a long time since I asked the question. As you are familiar with my set up,  I would like to restrict the choices in a field based on another field.  So do I need to establish separate tables.  In this case you might wish to read my following earlier note: 

"I have field Development Type, which has three values to choose from.  These are long descriptions.  Then I have a Development Code field in the same table.  These are two letter codes corresponding to Dev Type.  For example, a refurbishment is always known as RR and extension  is RE.  What I want the user is to select the dev type and the dev code shows the right code for that. In MS Access, I could achieve it without having  to save a table.

• 11.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 10-22-2017 09:57
    You will need to have a table for the choices for the Development Code. However, you will not need to have a field for the Development Tyoe. That can be a simple multiple choice field.

• 12.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 12-12-2017 03:21
    Mark sorry to bother you on this.  If I have three fields and  first determines the drop down on the second and the second field determines the drop down on the third,  do iIneed one table table to hold these drop downs or would there be three separate tables and these will be then  be looked up from let us say projects table  when someone is setting up a project.  As an example, if category is PNP and the Dev Type is 'New', Refurbishment', extension, Dev Codes are corresponding value for New = N, Refurbishment = RR  etc. 

In the attached screenshotI have shown the relationship. As I have existing data in projects table, in the proposed set up would I need to re allocate new values? 

• 13.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 12-12-2017 03:26
    I think that we would would need to deal one on one with this detail level of question.

• 14.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 06-17-2020 18:14
    Hi. Resurrecting this question...
    We are similarly trying to have cascading dropdown menus - many identical entries on a single form to avoid going to a record creation window each time.
    Is it really not possible to use a table to populate a dropdown menu without creating a connection between the elements of the dropdown and the individual records?  This seems like a basic data entry scenario.

------------------------------
    Anne-Claire Markle

• 15.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 06-17-2020 18:17
    Sorry, I suggest that you post a new complete question.  There is not enough detail here to answer a question.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 16.  RE: Conditional Drop Down Set Up

Posted 06-17-2020 18:45
    Ok, will do. Thanks!

Anne-Claire Markle