Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 04-28-2016 18:05

I have created an app that tracks projects during their life cycle.  Throughout the process numerous documents need to be uploaded and attached to the project. The issue is that sometimes this can be hundreds of documents for a single project.  Is there a way so that the document library has folders which would allow users to then put the "pictures" in the "pictures" folder etc.  They would also need to be able to then download individual "pictures."  Our app is connected with the Amazon plug in if that makes a difference.  

• 2.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 04-28-2016 18:09
    Rather than folders I suggest that you have a multiple choice field to identify the picture type. Then any report of photos can instantly be Dynamically Filtered according to the Type. 

You could also have an embedded report summarized by Type and the user could drill into any Type they wanted.  You can choose to call your Type field actually "Folder", so that users think that they are filed in folders if that is what they are used to.

Think of the Type (or "folder") as your virtual folders.

• 3.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 04-28-2016 18:22
    With the plug in that we utilize they don't actually even enter any fields when uploading a file it is simply hitting the upload button selecting the correct file from their hard drive and pressing upload so I am not sure that the file type or picture type option would work.

• 4.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 04-28-2016 18:39
    Do you happen to be using the Juiced Technologies Juiced Plug in called Multi-file upload?  I know their product allows for one extra drop down choice field to be selected as i work with that product for another client who uploads a crazy number of photos for a real estate app.  We also have asked Juiced to enhance that upload process to re-size the images during the upload, to compress and standardize the file sizes (ie some photo files are way too huge and need to be compressed to more manageable sizes).

• 5.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 04-28-2016 18:47
    We do happen to be using that plug in.  So would I need to work with them in order to have that extra drop down field added or is it a simple addition I can make myself?  Thank you for all the help btw.

• 6.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 04-28-2016 19:02
    Yes, you can tell them that I told you that their product should be able to offer you a single dropdown field.

• 7.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 01-02-2019 20:46
    Egnyte is a great online document storage with folders.  It also lets you set permission for each folder.   CloudBase Services can easily integrate Quick Base and Egnyte.  

• 8.  RE: Need my document library to be able to have folders within it

Posted 01-05-2019 14:53
    Hi this is Keith from Juiced.  If you are using our multifile upload add-on then you can do the following
     - if you have a field on the documents table that has the type make note of the field id of that field and you will use it as a parameter in the formula url field that executes our add-on.  That field should be a multiple choice text field
     - if you don't have a type field on the documents table then you can create one
     - in the formula url field add the following lines to the formula code
    & "&typefid=xx"
    & "&txtdft=Contract" 

xx should be the field id of the field that is the type field I mentioned above
    Contract is a default value, this is optional but it assumes "Contract" is a value in your text multiple choice field on the documents table

here is a link to our demo app that shows how this works:  https://juicedtech.quickbase.com/db/bg5vsmsdc?a=dr&r=c&rl=d5

The Document Type field is on the Project Documents table and that is shown in the popup window when clicking the upload button on the "Upload with Text" or "Upload with Defaulted Text"

demo app screenshot#1

our add-on popup window showing the type drop down