Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

• 1.  Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 03-17-2017 16:18
    I am attempting to copy data from an Excel file and past it into the Grid Edit report. I know you can manually click each field and edit data in the grid edit, but I thought at one point, you could paste by "filling down."

I am beginning to think my only option is to import the .CSV file. However, I have had horrible luck with doing this as the fields never seem to match once imported.

Please help me!

• 2.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 03-17-2017 16:45
    You cannot copy & paste into grid edit.  Using the import tool; you need to either a) match each and every field into the correct QuickBase field by checking each selection (use the checkbox to turn off 1st Row is Field Name) so that you can see what the column heading is from your spreadsheet and then match that column to the correct field in the table.

The other option is to extract from QuickBase a report containing the fields that you plan on importing back to QuickBase.  Remember to include the [Record ID#] or Key Field of the table.

Then copy/paste your info into the exported spreadsheet in the right columns.  Then when you do your Import; the fields should automatically align themselves correctly (you should ALWAYS visually validate) before clicking IMPORT.  If you don't do this, your data will either a) go into the wrong columns (which is a problem), b) not import because the field types are different and c) overwrite existing data which you then cannot undo.

Use the Import/Export window and always visually check each column heading is being imported to the correct column in QuickBase.

• 3.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 03-17-2017 16:49
    .... actually, I think that you can copy and paste from excel into Grid edit.  I just spend an hour a couple of days ago coaxing data into an app for a client.

The trick is that Excel is from Microsoft. And IE or whatever they call their Browser these days is from Microsoft.  those two play nice together.  So you can copy and paste from Excel into Grid Edit in Internet Explorer browser.

• 4.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 02-13-2018 16:10
    Excellent Mark. I never think about it.

• 5.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 02-23-2018 00:45
    Have you tried it on WIndows 10, it is clunky and doesn't seem to paste. I got it work first time but after that it, it will bring up message to allow access to Clipboard, then when I select paste, nothing happens.

• 6.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 02-23-2018 02:05
    I won�t have access to a Windows pc until next week.

• 7.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 08-13-2018 06:46
    It works perfectly fine in IE 11 browser but not in Chrome or IE Edge browsers.

• 8.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 04-11-2018 05:27
    It worked for me once but now it does not.  I've tried using Qbase from IE browser and no difference.  I thinking maybe I was using Firefox or Chrome.  Anybody else get this technique to work consistently

• 9.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 01-26-2021 13:22
    Edited by Michael Tamoush 01-26-2021 13:45
    I've been able to get it consistently working in Firefox, but haven't been able to get it to work in Chrome or Edge.

Only thing in firefox is you have to right click and paste. Ctrl V does not work.

If anyone else comes up with anything to have it work in other browsers, please post on this thread!

**UPDATE: I can only copy paste up to 4 records at a time, as that is the 'limit' that QB has to addon (the 4 extra blank lines). Has anyone been able to copy paste more than that?

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 10.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 01-27-2021 11:11
    Matthew,

Just to confirm what you said, I also was not able to get it to work in IE. For me, the only browser that works is Firefox.

Mike Tamoush

• 11.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 02-15-2019 08:49
    Does anybody find solution in Chrome to paste in Grid Edit?
    Maybe there is a need to turn-on some chrome://flags which would allow such functionality?

• 12.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 02-15-2019 13:29
    BTW - I issued this question with example to Google Chrome team.
    Wondering if they replay anything :)

• 13.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 01-21-2021 11:47
    Just putting my +1 on this and bumping. 

I realize this is a browser issue and I realize this might not be in the category of main functionality, but I really need this right now.  The simple act of being able to copy and paste into a grid edit report will allow us to effectively integrate reports from disparate systems easily and efficiently.  Sadly, it is not easy because copy and paste is not consistent across browsers.  Any workaround is appreciated, but something akin to the paste special in Firefox integrated directly into Quick Base so that it works regardless of browsers would be ideal.

Tate Forgey

• 14.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 01-22-2021 10:58
    Often-times, copy/pasting from Excel introduces hidden/special characters into your Quick Base, so there's that. Aside from this, I know it doesn't solve for every scenario, but is this spreadsheet something that you could setup to be used as the basis of a Sync table or an Import? Even if you import too much data into a dummy table and then have a way - whether manual or automated with Pipelines - to pull just the data you want into your actual records might be a solution.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 15.  RE: Is there any way to copy data from an Excel file and paste it in the Grid Edit report?

Posted 01-06-2022 07:35
    Edited by Martin Suske 01-06-2022 08:21
    Just came across that issue too and it seems to be a feature of the grid edit function to not allow external clipboard data to be inserted. I had no problems copying the same data into other QB fields.

I cannot understand the restriction though. Seems quite common to insert data from other sources in a data grid. Validation could be implemented for special types.

Giving every user the possibility to upload/merge data or build individual pipelines for that purpose would be worse for me.

Edit:
    I just learned about the "Paste Special" function that can be called from the context menu of a cell in grid edit mode. I guess that'll solve my issue.

Martin Suske