Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Multi User Select Field Colorization

• 1.  Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:13
    I am wondering if it is possible to colorize a multi-select field gracefully on a report. For example, I would like to assign each option in the field a color, but if two or more are selected I want all of their colors to show. 

So I have this list:

Jack (blue)
    Carol (red)
    Barbara (purple)
    Janet (yellow)

I know that on my custom report I can colorize if there is only one selected. However, I am wondering if I, for instance, select both Jack and Barbara on this list can I have both blue and purple show? So on the report, it lists them both separated into different "bubbles". Can I colorize this report so each bubble shows the correct color? I have attached a couple screenshots for reference. The first is what the report looks like, the second is a mock up of what I am looking for. Thanks in advance!
    ">https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1570495/RackMultipart20170321-1246-1vbqe2x-Screen_Shot_2017-03-21_at_11.57.05_AM_inline.png?1490111892">

• 2.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:25
    What you will want to do is create a formula text field that converts those entries into colorized text.

It will need to evaluate each option that is there, and assign a color.

It will be a List function, with some if statements.

List(", ",
    If(Contains([Name], "Jack"), "Blue Text", ""),
    If(Contains([Name], "Carol"), "Red Text", ""),
    If(Contains([Name], "Barbara"), "Purple Text", ""),
    If(Contains([Name], "Janet"), "Yellow Text", "")
    )

I'll need to circle back to this to make that text become colorized.  

• 3.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 01-24-2020 13:30
    should I be able to copy and paste directly into my formula field where it created four rows, or should it be one row that wraps?   I cannot get it to work.  :(

------------------------------
    Kristen Francis

• 4.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 01-27-2020 07:15
    I think that it would help to elicit a response from the community if you posted a complete question as to what you are trying to do, in a new post and then perhaps reference this post in a link.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:27

• 6.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:33
    I don't see where this answers my questions. It just appears to be a list of colors. 

• 7.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:47
    Sorry - it's a tool that allows you to see hundreds of different color options which can be used in QuickBase - just thought it's helpful when picking colors to pick ones which are readable in a standard QuickBase environment (instead of "red","blue" etc.).

• 8.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:50
    It is a cool tool. I currently use the HTML color picker on the w3 schools website. This may be a resource I can use in the future. Thanks

• 9.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:30
    instead of having "Blue Color" you can add this

"<div style=\"font-size: 10pt; color:white;background-color:blue; width:100%;  text-align:center; \">Jack</div>"

• 10.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:30
    So this would need to be done for all combinations? So Jack would be blue, Carol would be red, and the combination of Jack and Carol would be a third color?

• 11.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

• 12.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:36
    I received this error on the first link, but it sounds like what I'm looking for. 

"You've requested a page using an invalid hostname: haversineconsultig.quickbase.com.
    Please double check the web address or try the address of our main site: https://login.quickbase.com">https://login.quickbase.com/">https://login.quickbase.com.

• 13.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:37
    typo - try again

• 14.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:39
    Yes! That is was I am looking for. How do I go about doing this?

• 15.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

• 16.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:45
    I realized the spelling error, and got to the link. This is exactly what I was looking to do. Can you tell me how to achieve this?

• 17.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:50
    Instructions to setup the IOL technique are in every pastie:

There is a good chance that this code uses the image onlaod techique which you can read about here:

https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&rid=294

These may help - especially the second one which inlines the above instructions with screenshots:

What is the Simplest IOL Example?
    https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/what-is-the-simplest-iol-example

How Do I Setup the Image Onload Technique (IOL)?https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/how-do-i-setup-the-image-onload-technique-iol

• 18.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 19:47
    Once I figured out what I was doing I was able to get this to work. Thanks so much for the help!

• 19.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 19:49
    Lesson to others: Took less than an hour for Andreonna to become an IOL master.

• 20.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 19:56
    To be fair, I placed a catering order in the middle of that hour. So more like 20-30 min to set it up. Understanding it in depth will take a bit longer. 

Next question. When I filter the reports using dynamic filters the colorization disappears. Is there a reason for this? So in your sample table if you filter it to show only jack it removes the colors. However, if you create a custom report filtered to only show jack, the colors are there. It's only when filtering using the dynamic filters on the left side of the report page. 

• 21.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 20:08
    When dynamic filters execute it overwrites the changes made by the IOL so you have to add additional JavaScript to again clobber the changes made by the dynamic filter or use another technique call BOL (Branding OnLoad).

It is sort of an arms race between native QuickBase and your script but luckily your script can always prevail. In either case one way to solve the problem is to write a mutation observer in script to detect when the dynamic filters code changes the display and then reinvoke the color changing portion of your script.

You can search this forum for mutation observer  and find some examples but I don't have time to provide an example:

https://community.quickbase.com/quickbase/topics/resize-record-picker-popup-window

I have tradition of submitting presentations for Empower that never get approved because they are so stunningly advanced and creative that QuickBase staff just faint and collapse in reviewing them. In 2015 I prepared a presentation entitled "Let Me Mutation Observe That For You". I will see if I can find the demo I created.

• 22.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:36
    Correct (At least going this route),  If you have a ton of options there are a few other ways, but multi select fields are tricky.

Here is a more complete formula for your example

List(", ",
    If(Contains([Name], "Jack"),
    "<div style=\"font-size: 12pt; color:white;background-color:blue; width:100%;  text-align:center; \">Jack</div>", ""),
    If(Contains([Name], "Carol"),
    "<div style=\"font-size: 12pt; color:white;background-color:red; width:100%;  text-align:center; \">Carol</div>", ""),
    If(Contains([Name], "Barbara"),
    "<div style=\"font-size: 12pt; color:white;background-color:purple; width:100%;  text-align:center; \">Carol</div>", ""),
    If(Contains([Name], "Janet"),
    "<div style=\"font-size: 12pt; color:white;background-color:yellow; width:100%;  text-align:center; \">Carol</div>", "")
    )

• 23.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 18:38
    I am finding that multi select fields are a pain. This seems to be the only option in terms of assigning multiple people to one record though. 

• 24.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 20:53
    There is no way to run a loop in QuickBase formula.  Therefore, there is a lot of repeating syntax.  I built it out for 4 users.  This would need to be built out for 20 users total.  Also, users are hard coded which is going to be a pain to maintain over time.  Good Luck!

var text jackstyle = "background: purple; color: white; border-color: purple'>Jack";
    var text janetstyle = "background: yellow; color: black; border-color: yellow'>Janet";
    var text carolstyle = "background: red; color: white; border-color: red'>Carol";
    var text barbarastyle = "background: blue; color: white; border-color: blue'>Barbara";

var text css = "display: inline-block; margin: 1px; background: white; max-width: 98%; "&
    "text-overflow: ellipsis;word-wrap: break-word; background: red; border: 1px solid rgb(204, 213, 240);" &
    "border-radius: 5px; padding: 2px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-radius: 5px;";

var text usera = Part(ToText([List User]), 1, ";");
    var text userb = Part(ToText([List User]), 2, ";");
    var text userc = Part(ToText([List User]), 3, ";");
    var text userd = Part(ToText([List User]), 4, ";");

var text useraf = If(
    Contains($usera, "jack")=true, $jackstyle,
    Contains($usera, "janet")=true, $janetstyle,
    Contains($usera, "carol")=true, $carolstyle,
    Contains($usera, "barbara")=true, $barbarastyle 
    );

var text userbf = If(
    Contains($userb, "jack")=true, $jackstyle,
    Contains($userb, "janet")=true, $janetstyle,
    Contains($userb, "carol")=true, $carolstyle,
    Contains($userb, "barbara")=true, $barbarastyle
    );

var text usercf = If(
    Contains($userc, "jack")=true, $jackstyle,
    Contains($userc, "janet")=true, $janetstyle,
    Contains($userc, "carol")=true, $carolstyle,
    Contains($userc, "barbara")=true, $barbarastyle
    );

var text userdf = If(
    Contains($userd, "jack")=true, $jackstyle,
    Contains($userd, "janet")=true, $janetstyle,
    Contains($userd, "carol")=true, $carolstyle,
    Contains($userd, "barbara")=true, $barbarastyle
    );

"<span style='" & $css &
    List("</span><span style='" & $css,
    $useraf,
    $userbf,
    $usercf,
    $userdf,
    ""
    )&
    "</span>

• 25.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 21:02
    >Also, users are hard coded which is going to be a pain to maintain over time.  Good Luck!

You could just write a short off-line JavaScript function that took an array of user names and styles and spit out the QuickBase formula as text. Whatever repeating pattern is in the QuickBase formula can easily be iterated over in script.

• 26.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-21-2017 21:44
    UPDATE: I made a simple  change to detect dynamic filters through the hashchange event:

https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bmm3bpupr?a=td

Pastie Database
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&rid=563

No need to use Mutation Observers with this change.

I also unchecked the Searchable property of the [-] field so remnants of this field would not display in the dynamic filter panel:

Include this field when searching/filtering this table

To be honest I can't believe QuickBase implemented this dynbamic fitler option through using the URL hash - the change state should have been persisted in local storage.

• 27.  RE: Multi User Select Field Colorization

Posted 03-22-2017 13:48
    I may not understand everything you are saying here, but it certainly works like a charm! Thanks so much!