Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Merge Multiple Records

Posted 11-03-2017 00:05
    We've recently launched a ticketing application to replace our JIRA service with, and I'm having an issue of multiple records.  
    I currently have it set to allow our folks to email into the application, and the record gets created off of the Subject Line -> Title and the email body -> description.  That part works great.
    What I'm having an issue with is our seniors relying SOLELY on email.  As such, the create a new record each time the send an email, and I would like to merge those into the working record.
    In JIRA, there was the ability to associate individual records, or merge them outright.  I am looking for similar functionality here.
    As bad as it is to say, going to our C-Suite and telling them to "just use the application" is not an acceptable answer.  Old dogs, new tricks and what not.
    Thoughts?

Mike

• 2.  RE: Merge Multiple Records

Posted 11-04-2017 19:36
    We built a tool that utilizes the API to merge multiple records into one.  This is done by checking several a box on several records.

This might work for you, but you might have some options to combine things if there is a unique identifier that connects them and just have it happen automatically or with a similar script (minus the check boxes)

• 3.  RE: Merge Multiple Records

Posted 11-08-2017 01:55
    I'm interested in learning more about this.  Typically, they are replying to a notification that comes out, and that notification has the Record ID in it, just changed to state Ticket #.
    What type of script would I want for that?
    Thanks,

Mike

• 4.  RE: Merge Multiple Records

Posted 11-08-2017 05:36
    The script is a custom one that we made to merge multiples.  It basically catalogs all the 'possible' merges and then allows you to select which values you want to take priority.

• 5.  RE: Merge Multiple Records

Posted 12-02-2019 07:10
    Hi Matthew
    I am really interested in this tool. How can i get hold of it?
    Owen

------------------------------
    Owen Morgan
    ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Merge Multiple Records

Posted 11-08-2017 05:38
    After thinking about this, it might just be best to create a circular relationship with the ticket table, that way you can just add a 'new ticket' to an existing ticket.  Then the child can just inherit the status of the master ticket.

It is not a simple feat, and can be funky to work with, but I think it would be the best solution for you.