Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Constant loading when searching a table

Posted 02-05-2018 20:07
    Hi, I am hoping there is something I can do to solve this but it seems that when I perform a search in my largest tables the data is continuously "Loading...." and it never seems to find anything. I can refresh the database and then it seems to find what I am looking for. This is VERY annoying and the only thing I can think is that my database is "too large" for effective searching. Hoping someone has an idea to make this stop!

• 2.  RE: Constant loading when searching a table

Posted 02-05-2018 20:23
    Can you tell us how many records are in the report and how many columns on the report.  Note that if you have hundreds of thousands of records, Quick Base needs to do that work to search all searchable fields on the report.  Are there columns which are not necessary on that report? 

• 3.  RE: Constant loading when searching a table

Posted 02-05-2018 20:29
    So, I have a little under 16,000 records. The report has 20 columns, which all are necessary. I seem to be having this problem more recently.

Sometime I'll type in several searches consecutively and they return the appropriate results almost instantly. Then randomly I will search a phrase and then it will just sit on "Loading..." like I included in the original post.

I don't suspect that it is the size of my database but perhaps something to do with a faulty internet connection?

Anything helps, so thanks you for your time!

• 4.  RE: Constant loading when searching a table

Posted 02-05-2018 20:37
    The issue is unlikely to be related to your table size as 16,000 records by 20 columns is that really a lot.

I do know though that when you run a report and then leave it sit for a long time, then Quick Base sort of forgets what is on that report and cannot quickly search it.  How long is long,  Hmmm, maybe like 5-10 minutes or so?  But usually it gives a more meaningful error message to ask you to re-run the report.

But it sounds like buggy behaviour that will need Quick Base support will need to look at.  I suggest that you put in a Support Case by using the HELP "?" at the top right of all pages..

• 5.  RE: Constant loading when searching a table

Posted 07-22-2020 13:56
    Edited by Meghan Goddin 07-22-2020 14:24
    I am experiencing this problem as well.  I am searching <500 records with approx. 5 columns in the report, and I can't get the search to complete.

• 6.  RE: Constant loading when searching a table

Posted 07-23-2020 19:05
    Jeff,
    I had a somewhat similar issue where when I would launch some of my reports on a certain table it would churn on the clock for a long time (although it usually finally rendered back results) and others would come back almost immediately.

In the end I figured out that it was due to having unusual dates in one of my datetime fields for a couple of rows.  We had loaded data via an import and had inadvertently had one row load the datetime field with a year of 1616 and one with a year of 1619.  Even though these are technically valid dates in QB anytime a report happened to include 1 of these 2 rows it would take a very long time to render.  Once I corrected the dates everything was fine with report retrieval.

This might not be your situation but it might be helpful to look at the data in any date fields you have and see if you have something similar.

------------------------------
    Audrey O
    ------------------------------