Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Trying to create a button to upload a file outside of QuickBase

Posted 09-17-2018 15:12

In this particular app we're storing all documents associated with a record in another location ( Sharepoint, Sharefile, Dropbox, whatever ), and I'm attempting to create a button on a form which will pop file upload to a URL outside of QuickBase.

I know I need a formula-URL button, but I haven't yet found the right formula to use.

Any help would be appreciated

• 2.  RE: Trying to create a button to upload a file outside of QuickBase

Posted 09-29-2018 18:44
    Hi Kyle, 

I'm not sure what you mean by "...which will pop file upload...".

Do you want to open a window to the location where files should be uploaded (Dropbox, SharePoint, etc.)? 

Depending on how specific you need to get you can just paste the appropriate ULR into URL field.

If you need the URL to change based on another folder that identifies which location you can do that using the Formula URL field and the CASE formula.

However, if you need to open a specific file path within the designated location that's a little bit trickier, but doable as well.

If you can provide more details on what you're looking to do, I'll try to help.

-Sharon 

• 3.  RE: Trying to create a button to upload a file outside of QuickBase

Posted 08-16-2019 14:06
    Hi,
    I have a similar request as well.. in quickbase, you can create an "attachment field type", so you can upload a file in that field and store in QuickBase. What I'd like to achieve is that if we can create a field (URL button) or something that act like the attachment field type.. instead of uploading it into QuickBase to store, I'd like it to be uploaded into Sharefile as the storage of file. After we upload that, we can click that link again to open up the file.
    thanks

erikson tsang

• 4.  RE: Trying to create a button to upload a file outside of QuickBase

Posted 08-16-2019 14:14
    Hi all,

Yep.  Erikson is exactly on the money.  We store so many things in Sharefile as a result of legacy systems, we would love to be able to upload a file into Sharefile, and be able to access it through Quick Base with the rest of the record.

Accessing Sharefile through QB is easy enough, as Sharon pointed out, but GETTING IT THERE as a file upload through QB is the key functionality.

And I get why the functionality wouldn't be there.  Why code for uploading into another system when QB can store it for you.  But in reality, at least in my corporate world, that's not quite flexible enough for this run and gun company. :)

So, Sharon, the core ask is the ability to upload THRU QB but the file ends up in a specified Sharefile location.

• 5.  RE: Trying to create a button to upload a file outside of QuickBase

Posted 08-16-2019 19:03
    Hi Erickson & Kyle!

I'm sure this is possible with a Rich Text Formula field. Even if it just opens up the Sharefile location in a pop-up window. 

A quick Google search came up with this info from Citrix https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX207515

I assume you can further customize the URL to the specific Sharefile destination. This could even be dynamic based on form field values.

If you are looking for an embedded capability (not a pop-up), that too may be possible with coding, but is not something I have experience with.

-Sharon