Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 17:34
    I am having trouble in a child app placing a search bar on the default dashboard to search a table in the part app. It says I dont have access to the information, even thought the cross-app setting are set to admin and my role is admin. 

Any thoughts/help?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 17:39
    Cross app setting only apply to cross app relationships, not searching.

• 3.  RE: cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 17:44
    So there is no way to search a table's fields on the parent app??

• 4.  RE: cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 18:00
    Do you have access to the data in the other app?  I guess the Parent app of the cross app relationship?

• 5.  RE: cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 18:58
    Yes, I created both apps

• 6.  RE: cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 19:16
    I think I'm not understanding the ask here.  if you want to have a button to search another app, you can make a button to land the user on a dashboard of the Parent app, or else make an <ask the user> report and last the user on that report via a URL link.  

• 7.  RE: cross application search

Posted 11-09-2018 20:06
    I figured it out. Problem was I wasn't entirely sure what I was needing. I created a formula field on the child app's table that serialized info about the parent app's table, then I used that field in the child app's dashboard search in order to limit local records. 

Thanks for your replies.

• 8.  RE: cross application search

Posted 07-24-2020 13:59

Hello David.

I was searching a cross applications search feature and found your question and your response. I have 4 more or less same applications  that records field engineers repairs (USA, FRANCE, JAPAN....) and now need to do a search for past repairs globally. Of course the smart way would have to have combine all those apps in one. But management at the time (2006) wanted to customize the look for each app) I want for now to add a global search to the USA QB app so I can search not only the USA QB but also FRANCE,JAPAN.. QB for a repair.

It seems that you were able to make it work by adding a formula field that serialize info from the parent's table? Could you explain the process in more details if you won't mind? Would in my case, QB USA be the child app and the other worldwide QB the parents? I guess i should forget about all the other QB but one (like FRANCE) since I am assuming if I can search QB France from QB USA then I can do the rest of the QB's later.

Sorry for the long message. I just wanted to setup my issue.

Thank you again for any suggestions.

Mo 

------------------------------
    Mohamed Bennouf

• 9.  RE: cross application search

Posted 07-24-2020 15:17
    I suggest that you consider having a Connected Sync Table in your app to also Sync in the repair tables from the other three apps.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: cross application search

Posted 09-16-2020 00:56
    Hello Mark.

I am SO SO sorry for the delay. I completely forgot that I ask that question so long ago! I no longer manage our Quickbase so it was out my radar (or maybe just age :)  I will pass your answer to our IT people (who now deal with our QB) Thank you again for your help and sorry for the long delayed response!

Mo

ps: In my more personal note, I am so happy and impress that you still helping people here. You are the BEST!

Mohamed Bennouf