Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Forms and embedded reports

• 1.  Forms and embedded reports

Posted 08-05-2019 21:41
    I have created 2 embedded reports from a table that is child to two different parent tables (2 table relationships). I want one form to work with parent table #1 embedded report and the other form to work with parent table #2 embedded report.  I have used the report override functionality but I am only seeing one of the forms used when editing a record in either embedded report. What am I doing wrong?

• 2.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 08-05-2019 21:54
    Perhaps instead of having 2 forms in the child-table; you have 1 form and use Form Rules to control which data-set's are displayed based on which relationship (parent) is populated; this way you do not have to control every report to show one form v. another form in the same table because of the 2 different parents. 

This is a very common function of a child-table to have more than 1 parent; but only data from 1 parent be visible at a time depending on the relationship.

Otherwise, you will run into issues with every report; and users who build their own reports may not be able to see the data they need because they do not have the ability to view the correct form you have designed from their report.

Typically, you will put parent 1 lookup fields in 1 section heading group; and then put the 2nd parent  lookup fields in a second section heading group.

Then use 2 form rules - when [Related Reference Field 1] is not empty, show Section 1.  When [Related Reference Field 2] is not empty, show Section 2.  If users are adding to this table from the table (and not from either parent); then you will need to show the 2 related reference fields together on the form for the user to select one or other parent first.

• 3.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 08:44
    Is it possible to add multiple embedded reports within a form?

------------------------------
    Wallace (DHS) Yeboah

• 4.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 08:50
    Yes, you can have as many embedded reports on a form as you like. But is that really your question?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 09:57
    Hi Mark

Yes, to provide more detail.

I have an embedded report within a form that was automatically generated when I created a table to table relationship. (report link from parent table is visible on child table). I would like to add an additional report link to showcase other data points from the parent table on the same form in the child table. Not sure how I go about doing that.

Wallace (DHS) Yeboah

• 6.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 10:00
    As Laura stated, you can add the Report Link field and hence an Embedded report onto the form multiple times and specify a different Report for that embedded report to use.  You set the report to use in the Form Properties.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 10:40
    When I use the report link field it only allows me to select a specific field as a target and not a report.

Wallace (DHS) Yeboah

• 8.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 10:46
    Are you referring to the report link appearing as just a link on the form (where the user drill down) , or when the Form setting is set to show the records on the form?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 11:28
    Just figured it out! Thanks again Mark and Laura!

Wallace (DHS) Yeboah

• 10.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 09-16-2019 11:57
    I have created an embedded report that is a parent t​o a child table. The child table already has an existing default form with specific values for certain users to enter.

I created a new form for a new group of users using some of the fields from the existing form. This new user group can only access the new form I have created. Once users enter values in the fields on the form, the data is not being captured in the embedded report. Does anyone have an idea as to why that is?

Wallace Yeboah

• 11.  RE: Forms and embedded reports

Posted 11-01-2019 08:48
    A Report Link field can be used multiple times on a form.  Each Report Link field can be set to point (display) a different report.
    If you are trying to restrict these reports by Roles, then you should copy the Report Link Field (and name it appropriately) and then control the visibility of the field at the Role Level within the field; or by a Form Rule to state that when the User is in the Role XYZ, then show [Report Link A] field.  This means that some users on the same form will see one report; while others would see another and vice versa.

If data is not visible in the form from the embedded report check the following:
    1.  The report link is referencing a source value and a reference value correctly
    2.  The report you are "displaying" is not filtered so that it displays no records for those users

Laura Thacker (IDS)
    laura@intelligentdbs.com
    (626) 771 0454