Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Need to See Details of Child Records in Parent Table

• 1.  Need to See Details of Child Records in Parent Table

Posted 06-16-2020 12:04
    Edited by Amber Pollard 06-16-2020 15:19
    I have a parent table Contracts and need to see the values (text) from 1 of the child records (whichever record has the checkbox filled in the field "Active Contract?") for the child table Contract Versions.

I need to bring up 3 values from the child table, Start Date, End Date and Amount.

Can someone help me think through how to establish a reverse relationship to pull these values to the parent table? I've done this before but I'm having trouble thinking through the exact steps and in which order and it looks like the answers to my old questions have been lost when the discussion forum changed to a new site. And I haven't yet found anything in searches which covers this.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Amber P

• 2.  RE: Need to See Details of Child Records in Parent Table

Posted 06-16-2020 15:52
    OK so in the "old days" I used to do zillions of reverse relationships.  Now I'm doing to virtually never as we now have the new functionality called the Combined Text Summary field.

But in your use case, it would be a bit annoying to use that as all your fields are not text fields.

So to do a reverse relationship make a summary field to calculate the Maximum of the Record ID#  field subject to the filter that the Active checkbox is checked.  Call this field [Record ID# of Active Contract Version]

'The make a backward (reverse) relationship where 1 Child (Contract Versions) has many Parents (Contracts).  When you make that relationship, do not let it create a new field for you as the "reference field",  but rather select the field that you will have named [Record ID# of Active Contract Version].

Then just look up those three fields from the lucky child Contract Versions who was the most recent Active Contract version to the Contracts table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com