Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Build a notification off a summary field

Posted 05-14-2021 12:24
    Hello,

I am trying to build a notification based off if a summary field from a relationship (count of records) changes. When trying to make the notification I do not see the field show up under the "If any of the following fields change" section. Any thoughts? Can I make a number formula field to read of the summary and then make the trigger off of that?

Any options?

Best,

Noel

------------------------------
    NOEL HODGES

• 2.  RE: Build a notification off a summary field

Posted 05-14-2021 15:11
    Notification only fires when a human user edits a record or else an automated process or some kind of API call edits that specific record. As you have discovered email notifications do not fire simply through the passage of time where some record becomes say overdue or if records are changed in other tables which cause summary fields to change.

so... You have two choices. 

The most straightforward solution is to trigger the notification from the record that did actually change.  It's a good chance that it is a child of the record which you are trying to send the email from and obviously the child of any parent record can easily know all the fields in the parent record because you can look up any fields you need in the relationship.

The other option which is more complicated is to have a automation or a pipeline actually "tickle" the parent record by updating say a date time field to the current date time  as that would cause an actual change to the parent record which will trigger the email notification.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com