Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Automation: Creating Child Records based on Parent Record & 2nd Table

Posted 01-10-2020 16:01
    Hi all - I am running into an issue that I believe can be done natively before I start exploring non-native solutions.

I am looking to book an order (Table = Order) that needs to be updated on a daily basis (table = Service Update). The length of contract for each order varies. Typically they will take 80 days to complete.

I am looking for a native way to create a number of child record based on the order.

For example, we start the order today (1/10/2019) and the order is expected to take 4 months. I am looking to create records for the order in one batch. Typically there are 21 business days in a month so it would create 84 records ( 4 months * 21 business days in a month ) for service updates.

I have another table ( Service Days ) to show our work schedule ( days we are working ).

For example, if I create an order, I want to create child records related to order (service update) for every day that we are open.

Let's say that we start an order today ( service start date ) and our expected completion date is 80 service days. This means that it would create 80 child records (Service Update) based on the open days, which are checked from the Service Days Table.

Is this something that is possible natively?

------------------------------
    Alex Knox

• 2.  RE: Automation: Creating Child Records based on Parent Record & 2nd Table

Posted 01-10-2020 16:14
    I believe the gist of the answer is here.
    https://community.quickbase.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=103&MessageKey=6a90230c-f6c7-4a05-a47b-1b42128bcfef&CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fcommunities%2fallrecentposts

Post back if you need more help in adapting it to your situation.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Automation: Creating Child Records based on Parent Record & 2nd Table

Posted 01-10-2020 16:24
    Hi Mark - Thank you! I am going to look at this over the weekend and if I have any questions, I will post here

Alex Knox

• 4.  RE: Automation: Creating Child Records based on Parent Record & 2nd Table

Posted 01-10-2020 16:27
     So when you're a use case you would wanna populate that 53 week table with perhaps several hundred or 1000 records corresponding to how many days a project could last. Then the formula would calculate to know if the date did not qualify because it was outside the start and stop dates of the project or because it was on a weekend.
    Then the saved table to table import will just copy across the non null and hence qualified records. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com