Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-24-2021 15:19
    I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific recent date. 

What I have is two data sources that I merged into one Excel Spreadsheet, current date. Since today is 24 July 2021, current is Fri 23 July 2021. 

I see that I could do this by creating an App by 'Import A Spreadsheet'. This is perfect. My data will be an Excel file, the merged data I did in Excel.

Then I create a report, line-bar chart & other charts or tables eventually.

I like the new dashboards, so I place this line-bar chart on my dashboard, create some filters & voila I have correlated data for the 23 July 2021, and it's specific for a State & shows all the counties of that state. (This is in beta & further drill-down options I will probably incorporate, but for now I just want to correlate the data, line data & bar chart data & how they are related for a specific geographic area.)

Then because it's date specific, I want to run this again for a future date, say next Saturday I grab the two data sources for the previous Friday. 

I want to replace the table I set up initially with the new data. (Or just add a new table.)

But I can't get past the initial table I created, I can't delete it, I don't see options for, maybe it's not mean to be deleted. 

I could just create a new App, but then I have to setup the dash & reports that I want. I tried this, by printing by parameters and duplicating them with the new data. 

The only way I see to import new data via CSV is by using Google Drive, DropBox... I don't see a 'File Upload' dialog box that I can use to just upload the new table data via my own computer. 

Is my only option to upload my Excel Spreadsheet to my Google Drive & access it that way? I can do that, a bit of a hassle, but then am I using credits like in 'Pipelines' to do this?

There must be an easy way to be able to upload my new data. In the future I plan on updating my table so that old data is just discarded since the data I am using becomes very large after a couple months of new data is added.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Bob T.

• 2.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 10:31
    If you just need to upload an XLSX or CSV file, you can certainly do that. In your table ribbon at the top, select the Table you wish to import to. Then, on the right side of the Table dashboard, select the 'More' / 3 Dots option

Then select the 'Import/Export' option and follow the prompts to import a file. The old-style dashboards had a link for Import/Export, but this isn't available yet in the new Dashboards. Hopefully, this will be available soon.

If you're looking to do something a bit more automated, you can build a 'Sync' Table that would automatically upload new records from a cloud-based CSV file.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 3.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 11:41
    Blake, I would like to know how to build a 'Sync' table. Right now I have a Google Drive folder that I have been able to view a spreadsheet. But I haven't figured how to add it to my App. 

I'm really trying to push all the buttons and boxes on charts, tables & reports, so I can use many of them in my projects. So it's a long learning process.

Thank you.

Bob T.

• 4.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 13:41
    It sounds like you're pretty new to Quickbase, so a few things to think about before you go any further:
    1. What do you want Quickbase to be - it sounds like you're simply using it to generate reports on data that you're gathering in spreadsheets.
    2. You said that you'd compiled the data in the spreadsheets from two different data sources - is that necessary? Can you get that data directly from the source by using Pipelines?
    3. If you're using Quickbase just for reporting, you're missing out on the bulk of the functionality that's available to you. 
    Regarding building a 'Sync' table, you'll start by selecting the standard 'New Table' plus icon in the Table ribbon. When you do that, you'll have an option for "From Scratch" or "Using Connected Data". Select the 2nd option and follow the prompts to build the 'Sync' table.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 15:46
    Blake,

Actually as you can see the data comes from the Center for Disease
    Control (Total & vaccinated, but the data is available to go further,
    possibly drill-down, which is how I learn, I have the data in the CDC
    file. The data for Covid-19 positive cases comes from Git through the
    New York Times. I get for the same date, (ex. 23 July 2021). I merge the
    two files, tried in QB, but had problems, so it's clean in Excel, using
    a common field in both. The CDC uses FIODS (ie our St. Clair County ~
    26147) and the New York Times Git Repository, which I also have
    bookmarked use GEIODS (ie USA-26147). So I concatenated adding 'USA-'.

There are also additional fields I brought over, though I think QB woud
    like less, which I can do. But I want the fields for age groups,
    hospital admissions, deaths (unfortunately too) to be able to be
    graphed. I want to look at all the graph options you have, but started
    with just a bar graph & then used the line-bar graph, which is great for
    comparing to fields. They merge great in my application.

Yes, it would be nice to update the data from both feeds. Pipelines
    would be ideal, but isn't there a 'Meter' on these. I would like to
    avoid extra costs or having the meter going if there is a way to do free.

1.) I see that I can ONLY import one file (ex. Excel) when I first start
    an app, and directly from my computer. I may want to do this from a
    website later, directly or API...

2.) I tried the connect data by connecting a Google Drive account and
    uploaded a file there, an Excel file, though I wonder why there isn't an
    option to just do that from my computer. I first have to upload the
    *.xlxs file to my Google Drive & then go through & connect on QB to
    Google Drive.

So I don't know where to put the .csv file, the one I used is just an
    example and not used in this project.

This project is an experiment to learn, and I am not against using all
    the features of QB, I just want to learn how to use the options, one at
    a time. The reports is very important, as the data I have can correlate
    a lot of statistics and can be made to compare different dates, trends,
    but that is more complex.

The other features such as employees, tasks, etc. I'm sure will come
    into play, but at the present time, this is a learning experience and I
    want to concentrate on reports now, which is what I did and was good at
    for many years as a computer developer.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 18:20
    While I certainly don't want to discourage you from learning, Quickbase is a BPM applications platform first and a reporting engine second, so you can definitely do what you're wanting to, but it may end up a little wonky. With that said, I would strongly encourage you to go through the Quickbase University learning videos so that you can understand the basic features, functions, and menu navigation in Quickbase. 

Regarding importing your data, I initially thought an application with 3 tables would suffice. One for the CDC data, one for the NYT data, and a third table that you would use to aggregate that information. The problem with this scenario is that it assumes you would have a single record on each of the 3 tables that would represent a single date's information. With medical data, however, you're going to have many different categories of data associated with a single day. To build accurate reports on complex data like this will require an equally complex database structure. You can certainly still build it in a 3 table structure, but you will end up with a very flat data model.

Regarding Pipelines, you are charged when calls are made outside of Quickbase. If that call is to import a single CSV, my understanding is that would be considered 1 step as opposed to directly querying the CDC's database and iterating over 1000's of records, each of which would be considered 1 step.

As to the questions on when/how to import data, you can do that at any time, not just with the app builder. If your table already exists, you can select the table at the top and then use the menu on the right as shown here:

This process will let you import from a local file, from the clipboard, from another table, and other options as seen here:

If you want to regularly pull CSV data from Google Drive to a Sync table, that would be the option you presented the snapshots of. You will need to create a folder in your Google Drive INSIDE the Quickbase-created folder called Quickbase Sync. Then, inside THAT folder, you will add a CSV file. Quickbase assumes that you will have ONE CSV file and that your data will be regularly updated. When creating the Sync table, you will be given options for how to process the data, one of which will be to match the CSV file, but do not delete records. Select this one and you will be able to clear existing data from the CSV before adding in new data, rather than appending to it.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 18:37
    Yes, the data is flat. Other tables can be used in a relationship style and they in turn can use the report information in the ONE file for the data. I don't really see the need to have two tables pulling my data, as it is all one date. Actually the data is updated daily, so that complexes it. But I don't start big, like build Rome this year, it took a while. 

I have gone through many of the tutorials & webinars. But what I have discovered QuickBase is best learned one module at a time. Reports I have found is a course all in itself. The Drill-Down, Filters & Dynamic Filters, so that is pretty vast.

I do like the dashboards as it is as close to an IDE as I am used to as a developer, a place the reports can call home & then plenty of room to fill up. I don't find the initial layout of Quickbase to be useful, and glad I can just default to a dashboard of my creation. 

Thanks for your help, and the data table of my Covid-19 information I believe need live in only one table for a specific date, as the county or parish unit is the smallest geographic unit. 

As a closing note, I tried to put the county into a map chart but haven't been successful. This I think would be very cool, but it isn't essential. What is most critical now is to show how medical information relates, to a life or death situation, quickly and my line-bar chart showing just the two fields of information does that.  

Bob T.

• 8.  RE: I need to be able to import an Excel Spreadsheet from my computer, specific date

Posted 07-25-2021 18:48
    Blake, 

So I guess I will need to have .csv files in my Google Drive to make new data tables of data, after the first data table is created. Then I can add to any data table with a local drive. So good to know. In the future I will get data from the web, but it's daunting to try all the steps at once, as I keep learning knew things about the report customization. Many things learned from the University & Webinar Classes, but tinkering is what I do best, so that is what I do, that and debug. 

Bob T.