Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Dynamic Form Rule to Create New Unique Record Key - Opening/Saving ALL records?

Posted 05-21-2020 17:30
    Hi there, 
    I want to circumvent the rule that you cannot have a formula field as a Record Key for my Contacts table by creating a formula field that concatenates Account + Contact in the Contacts Form and then a dynamic form rule that transfers that combination into a text field. I want to to use this text field as my new Record Key for my Contacts. I just imported over 4,000 contacts and the only way that the dynamic form rule triggers is when I open and save a Contact. Is there ANY way to force this rule to fire without having to open and close 4,000 records individually? I already explored an automation and an action and neither seem to offer a solution. I can't believe I will have to spend hours clicking on each record just to get this to work. PLEASE HELP.

------------------------------
    Cecilia Mullan

• 2.  RE: Dynamic Form Rule to Create New Unique Record Key - Opening/Saving ALL records?

Posted 05-21-2020 17:39
    np
    Make a report with two columns.
    Filter where Key field is not equal key field formula

Go into grid edit.
    Click the blank column heading for Key field formula and right click to Copy
    click the key field blank header and right click to Paste

Repeat until none left

Then actually change the key field from Record ID# to the Key field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Dynamic Form Rule to Create New Unique Record Key - Opening/Saving ALL records?

Posted 05-21-2020 17:56
    OMG that is wonderful. Thank you so much!!!

Cecilia Mullan

• 4.  RE: Dynamic Form Rule to Create New Unique Record Key - Opening/Saving ALL records?

Posted 05-21-2020 18:15
    ya, 
    Save and Next would have got "old" in a hurry.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Dynamic Form Rule to Create New Unique Record Key - Opening/Saving ALL records?

Posted 05-21-2020 19:44
    Totally - this is a lifesaver. I had no idea I could copy and paste columns like that. Thank you again!

Cecilia Mullan