Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Access to Fields

Posted 05-04-2022 12:28
    Is it true that if I hide (no view) a field from certain roles, e.g. pay rate for employees, that anywhere that the field is used (e.g. a formula field) is also not viewable to those roles or viewable to those roles minus the amount of the hidden field?

------------------------------
    George Bramhall

• 2.  RE: Access to Fields

Posted 05-04-2022 15:50
    If a formula refers to a restricted field, then the formula will calculate to null /blank.  It's like with Excel where if you have a field which calculates to @err or @n/a then all the subsequent formula fields also calculate to @err or @n/a.​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Access to Fields

Posted 05-04-2022 17:10
    So it sounds like I need to create a new field (snap shot or pipeline filled field) sourced from the restricted field that then is used in the formula field.

George Bramhall

• 4.  RE: Access to Fields

Posted 05-04-2022 17:14
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 05-05-2022 16:14
    Sorry, I should've also mentioned that if the restricted field is in the same table and the restriction is that the field is restricted (and not records in another other table being restricted), then you can click the checkbox on field properties for the formula field called "Ignore subfield permissions". In that event the formula will in fact work even though the user does not have access to the individual field used in the formula.  

So no pipeline or mirror fields required.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Access to Fields

Posted 05-05-2022 16:13
    Who knew. That was just what I was looking for.

George Bramhall