Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Form beautification...

• 1.  Form beautification...

Posted 09-16-2020 16:57
    Hello all, I routinely print some of our completed forms and I'd like to know if a few things are possible: I'd like to center the record name at the top (currently everything pushes to the left) and I'd like to adjust font sizes. Also, every page has the "created by XXX at XXX. Last modified by XXX ...." stuff at the bottom that is really unimportant. I'd like to remove that... but I can't see any way to change this info. Is there an answer out there?

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 2.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-16-2020 19:06
    There is a form setting in Form Properties to show / hide built in fields.

I do not know how to Center but I was able to create this field with adding leading spaces to shove it to the right.

"                 " & [child name]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-17-2020 08:09
    Thanks for the built in fields tip. A lot of this seems simple, I think i get hung up on the syntax / naming of options. They don't always seem logical to me. I wouldn't have considered that a "built in field." 

I'd love to be able to change font sizes, center text, etc., without having to make custom fields every time.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 4.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-17-2020 11:10
    If it is just for printing I would suggest going the route of an Exact form.  You can change whatever formatting you want in Word and have it print cleanly. 

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/creating_exact_forms.html

Nate Kurtz

• 5.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-17-2020 15:51
    This looks like the solution I needed... I'll check it out and reply back with how it turned out. Thanks!

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 6.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-21-2020 10:35
    OK, I finally got the 64 bit exact forms template. This seems like it will be what I need, but I'm having trouble uploading the file. (I have a support case open for that) One question that's nagging me is that the help section mentions that I won't be able to use an exact form with an app that requires application tokens (page will just be blank). I have an application token set up for an external form on our website that allows customers to fill out a contact us form and it will automatically enter their info into our customer table in quickbase. I fear that disabling the app token will break this process for me. This seems needlessly complicated... any experience / feedback on this process?

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 7.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-23-2020 10:00
    Not specifically, however when going through exact forms for the first time i thought an app token was needed.  I ended up setting one up for the app and using it.  I later took it out for other restrictions but never ran into a problem with my form while i had it in.  I forgot about the 64 bit issue, that template is hard to locate, sorry about that.  

Just in case this is your issue with uploading.  You need to open the template, enable macros, go to add ins and select "new exact form" start writing the form (you can use the field ID #s to speed things up) then click save to QuickBase As and log in (you will add your app token here) select the form you want it saved in.

I am not an expert on this so take it with a grain of salt, hopefully it helps you though. ​

Nate Kurtz

• 8.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-23-2020 10:19
    So i finally got the thing uploaded. It asks for an app token during the upload process, so I created one and used that and it worked... (i later learned that you can just enter a "1") which I find hilarious, because when I try to print it, it comes out blank - the help section states that if you have app tokens enabled on your app, that you will get a blank page only, and so you must disable ALL app tokens in order for it to print. 

This seems like a real issue. I have app tokens for a reason - I have a form on our website for customers to enter contact info. In order to do that, I had to create a "everyone on the internet" user, so our info is secured using an app token. If I disable app tokens, that process will either cease to function, or could potentially expose our data... at least that is my understanding of it.

I've got to admit I am at a high level of frustration over this. It seems so elementary that I can't understand why quick base wouldn't have addressed this issue by now. The only other alternative is to pay Juiced $60 a month (new pricing!) so I can print 1 - one! - form. Really? This is the best we can do?

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 9.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-23-2020 13:10
    App tokens are only required as an extra security layer to prevent access by API calls to your app.  It does not prevent human users from accessing records and viewing or editing editing manually.

So, maybe after all there is no real value to enabling the Requirement for App Tokens.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-24-2020 08:32
    OK interesting. You would certainly know more than I do. I remember that when I was setting up the contact form for our website that I had to create an app token for it. I wouldn't have known to do that for myself, so someone or some documentation told me to set it up. I'll try turning it off and see if that breaks the process.

Thanks!

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 11.  RE: Form beautification...

Posted 09-24-2020 09:45
    Just an update, I turned off app tokens and my contact form seems to be working fine, and now the exact form is working as well.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome