Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Relate records within the same table

Posted 02-06-2020 18:40
    I have one existing table listing client demographic data - Name, Age, Gender etc. I want to relate these records to each-other in the very much common event that some clients are related to each-other - as in siblings.

------------------------------
    Phelan (DHS) Sanders

• 2.  RE: Relate records within the same table

Posted 02-06-2020 18:49
    Edited by Ryan Parr 02-06-2020 18:50
    Have no fear, you can easily relate a table to itself, multiple times even. Go to the settings of the table that you'd like to related and select the + New Relationship.  After you've created a relationship between the same table, you may want to rename the name of the reference proxy field to something like 'Child Name' 'Grandchild Name' etc. Open the relationship you've just made to find and edit the proxy field name on the child table.

Ryan Parr

• 3.  RE: Relate records within the same table

Posted 02-06-2020 20:51
    When updating a record to display the sibling, does it display in the other record?

Phelan (DHS) Sanders

• 4.  RE: Relate records within the same table

Posted 02-06-2020 21:09
    I think you ned to clarify the question.  It would make sense if it was a parent child relationships, just like in real life where a parent would have many children. The you would be siting on a parent record and see all the children. 

But when you have pure sibling relationships, then it's more complicated and you may want to use a different method like creating a Family unit record to be a Parent to all sibs, so that each sib will see their other sibs on their record.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com