Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Use a Connected Table to populate a Request Table and making those fields non-editable once the Request is saved

• 1.  Use a Connected Table to populate a Request Table and making those fields non-editable once the Request is saved

Posted 10-19-2020 14:52
    Howdy,

We keep all of our student employee information in a Personnel application.  I am trying to create an application for my hiring managers to submit a request for a merit increase. In the Increase app, I have created an employee table connected to the Personnel table that holds the current information about each employee and their position. The connected employee table has a one to many relationship with the request table. (This allows my hiring managers to just select an employees name when submitting a request and it pulls in all of the current information such as position, position start date, current salary, effective date of current salary). They then fill out the rest of the request with the requested salary, requested effective date, etc.  I also need for them to attach a copy of the employee's review.

My team then reviews the requests, approves it, submits it into Workday (our University payroll system) and then updates the Personnel app to show that employee's new salary for that position.  I've created a couple of checkboxes to show when the request was submitted in Workday and when the employee was updated in the Personnel application.  Once complete, the review and request are printed and placed in the employee's personnel file.

Unfortunately, the way our workflow works, once my team member has updated the information in the personnel app, when she goes back into the request to check that it's been updated (which effectively removes it from her todo list) and print the request, the request now has the new salary as the current salary (so it looks like nothing has changed). 

Is there a way to make it so that once a new request is submitted and saved those fields being populated by the connected table are no longer updated? Just making them read only does not do this. 

The other thing I thought about/tried was creating a "Submitted Request" table with an automation - so essentially when a new request was saved, it copied the values in the Request table over to the Submitted Request table. That way the current salary as of the time of request didn't change. My team member then updated the submitted request with approval, notes, submitted in workday, updated personnel app etc.  My challenge with that is in relating whatever document was submitted on the initial request so that it showed up on the submitted request.  I want my hiring manager to be able to initiate a request and add a document without having to go back out of that initial request and look up the submitted request.

Kind of stuck at the moment, looking for suggestions. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!  Below is my current structure for reference...

------------------------------
    Andrea Johannes
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Use a Connected Table to populate a Request Table and making those fields non-editable once the Request is saved

Posted 10-19-2020 15:16
    I am available on my cell now. If you are?

Tabatha Garrett - Curl
    Chief Operations Officer
    CCTF "Rapid Ready"
    5820 Veterans Parkway Suite 107
    Columbus, Ga. 31904
    Office: 706-221-2044
    "Impossible is for the unwilling"

"Difficult takes a day impossible takes a week"

**Confidentiality Statement**
    The materials in this email are private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.