Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Multi Select Date & Text

Posted 07-02-2021 14:01
    I'm pretty new to QB and databases in general. 

First question:

Is there a way to create a field in which the user selects a date, and then if they have a second or third date, they can use an "Add new" button on the form to add a new date which gets recorded in that field (attached to the same record).   

Second question:

If I need to record a date and an associated text entry to display as one piece of information (date + text), how would I do that? 

And last - is there a way to combine first and second questions so that they would work together somehow? User records a date and a corresponding piece of text, they are displayed together in a report or a form view, and then Add New would let them do it again?

Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Ashley Gwozdz

• 2.  RE: Multi Select Date & Text

Posted 07-02-2021 14:49
    Ashley,

I'm struggling to understand this part of the question here.

Is there a way to create a field in which the user selects a date, and then if they have a second or third date, they can use an "Add new" button on the form to add a new date which gets recorded in that field (attached to the same record).   

Are you looking to have a child table of additional "dates" for the same parent record?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Multi Select Date & Text

Posted 07-02-2021 15:01
    The user wants to record the announcement date associated with the parent record, but states that sometimes there are multiple announcements for that record, along with notes for each announcement date and would like to record each time that occurs. 

Is a child table the best way to do this?

Ashley Gwozdz

• 4.  RE: Multi Select Date & Text

Posted 07-02-2021 15:15
    Yes, a child table would be the best set up.

The parent table could be used for the initial announcement and the initial announcement date. And then the child table could be for follow up dates and messages related to that original announcement.

Records could be entered after the parent record is created or if they use Chase needs it, it may be distraught records are future announcement dates, the children can be entered in grid edit mode while entering the parent record. That way they all get saved together.

QuickBase can do any kind of formula to combine text and dates.

Let me know if you are going the child table route and i can help you with a formula to roll up all the child table data into a single field on the parent record called perhaps [Updates].

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Multi Select Date & Text

Posted 07-02-2021 15:21
    Thank you so much - this sounds very good. I'll follow up once I've got it all set up.

Ashley Gwozdz