Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Help With Formula

Posted 09-09-2019 16:28
    If(
    //If the target date is greater than completion date and the Completion date is equal to ""
    [Status] = "Open" and
    [Target Date] < Today()and
    IsNull([Completion Date]),
    // set the Status to Past Due
    "Past Due",

//Otherwise
    null)

If the condition is not met, there appears to be no issues.  If the condition is met, the error is:

Unable to save changes
    Custom data rule failed:
    1)Past Due

Any help is appreciated

------------------------------
    Brandon Clark

• 2.  RE: Help With Formula

Posted 09-09-2019 16:48
    The Advanced Properties for the table has a Data Validation Rule loaded which causes an error message and blocks the save.  The way a data validation rule works, is that it will only allow the save if the error calculates to blank.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Help With Formula

Posted 09-10-2019 15:45
    If you are referring to the data validation for saving the code, then that isn't the issue.  My issue is that whenever I change a target date to a date less than today and save the record, that's when the message pops.  

I think a big part of my issue is I don't really understand the Quickbase formula concept.  Is it java some places, qbase native others, and URL driven in even others?  Are the API's the best way to work with the data programmatically? 

I'm a network engineer who's been frustrated for years that I can do anything I want in access quickly and easily,  using VBA,  but it doesn't scale.  My hope is I can translate that experience to quickbase and finally have a place to build internal DB apps quickly and precisely that will be usable across the organization.

Brandon Clark

• 4.  RE: Help With Formula

Posted 09-10-2019 16:12
    Quick Base is best learned using native formulas and not APIs.  APIs are more advanced and are likely not necessary for you to get a lot done.

If the record is not saving, then its either due to a form rule with an "Abort the Save Rule which would have been set on the form Rules - so in the form, or else a custom data validation rule which is set in the Advanced Properties for the table.

Your mission to create app quickly and easily with Quick Base is can definately be met by Quick Base and i would be happy to have a no charge conversation with you to show you some examples of what QuickBase can do.

I'm a QSP (QuickBase Solution Provider) who helps clients when they get stuck.  
    www.QuickBaseCoach.com  mark.shnier@gmail.com

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Help With Formula

Posted 09-10-2019 16:39
    Thanks Mark.  I'll shoot you an email.