Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 16:47
    I have two tables: Jobs < Assignments.

Within the Assignments table, I have 4 different reports setup, they all have slightly different columns selected:
    • Assignments (default)
    • Assignments - Jobs Form - Add
    • Assignments - Jobs Form - Edit
    • Assignments - Jobs Form - View

In the Jobs table I have 3 different fields, all setup as Report Links, where the Source Field is "Jobs:Job ID#" (this is the Unique Record #) and the Target Field is "Assignments:Related Job".
    • Assignments Add
    • Assignments Edit
    • Assignments View
    In the Jobs form, I customized the form so that the three fields display the related assignments directly on the job form (i.e. embedded), and I based each one off of the corresponding Assignments report, e.g. the Jobs field "Assignments Add" points to the "Assignments - Jobs Form - Add" report from the Assignments table.

I also changed the "Display when this form is used for" to the corresponding purpose: View for view, Add for add, and Edit for Edit.

I check the "Editable" box for Add and Edit, but left it unchecked for View.

My goal is that depending on which mode I am in  (add, edit, view), I will have the corresponding Assignments table Report show embedded in the Jobs form.

It works for View, but for Add and Edit I am just getting the default Assignments report, with all of the columns.

I can't figure out why it is not showing the correct report for the Add and Edit modes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

​​​

------------------------------
    Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 16:51
    To help debug .. if you uncheck Editable does the correct report display?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:22
    I just tested it and yes, the correct reports are not showing in the different modes (add, edit, & view).

However, in add and edit, now I cannot input data into the Assignment fields.

The Assignment reports are embedded in the Jobs form.

There are certain Assignment fields in Edit mode (while in the job form) that I don't need in Add or View mode (while in the job form), and there are certain fields in View mode (while in the job form) that I don't need in Edit or Add mode (while in the job form), and the same goes with while in Add mode not showing in Edit or View mode.

For every solution I find, there always seems to be 2 additional issues that emerge!! hahahaha lol

Any thoughts?

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly
    Best Answer

Posted 12-18-2019 17:28
    OK, so you meant
    I just tested it and yes, the correct reports are now showing in the different modes (add, edit, & view).

That was a good clue, that this is only a Grid edit problem.

Can you check if you have Multiple forms, and if so, in Forms Usage, you have globally for all Roles or for some Roles to set a certain form to be used for Grid Edit?   Or less likely but possible, to have done an override for the reports you are using to force a certain from for Grid Edit? 

When you do that it performs as advertised, it will use that form as the definition of the fields to show in Grid Edit.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:32
    I am going to have to try and figure out where those options are at. I vaguely seem to remember seeing them and possibly doing something with them while trying to solve a different issue a number of months ago.

Thanks for the input!

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:33
    When  you go to Manage your forms, it will be under forms usage, assuming that you have more than 1 form.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:39
    In the Jobs table --> Settings --> Forms, there is only one form: Jobs Main Form.
    In the Assignments table --> Settings --> Forms, there are 2 forms: Assignments Main Form, and Assignments Main Form copy.
    I have no idea when or how the copy was made.

Where/how can I check the other points you mentioned:

1. Forms Usage, you have globally for all Roles or for some Roles to set a certain form to be used for Grid Edit?
    2.  have done an override for the reports you are using to force a certain from for Grid Edit?

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:41
    On the Assignments table 
    Settings
    Forms
    .. and then there should be an arrow to open up Forms Usage.  Check if you have forced a form to be used for Grid Edit.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:48
    Got ya. I was looking for an actual button or something similar, labeled "Forms Usage".

It is a simple dropdown triangle labeled "Set how different roles use these forms" .... right?

So for the Everyone role, all types (Full Site) of: View Form, Edit Form, Add Form, & Grid Edit, all have the Assignments Main Form selected. The View/Edit/Add Form (mobile) has: Use Full Site Forms, selected.

I am assuming that if I change the Grid Edit from Assignments Main Form to Standard Behavior, it should fix it?????

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:49
    Yep, you told it to use a certain form when doing Grid Edit, so it was simply doing what you inadvertently told it to.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:53
    Edited by Andrew Fry 12-18-2019 17:53
    Hahahaha, that is a nice way to call it a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

Thanks again Mark for your assistance.

There are so many options, and settings, and different ways of doing things in Quickbase that I find myself stumbling along and getting lost many times over until I have it memorized.

I appreciate your patience and help.

P.S. It did work.

Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: Embedded reports: not showing correctly

Posted 12-18-2019 17:29
    Edited by Andrew Fry 12-18-2019 17:30
    Ok, so I think that what is basically happening is that when Editable is selected, it is literally taking the Assignments Form and embedding it into the Jobs form, even though I have indicated that for that field, use a different report, associated to the Assignments table.

I think the issue is that I am trying to input data into a report, when really it needs to be input into a form.

If I were to edit the actual Assignment's form, and select the corresponding fields that need to be in edit, add, view, or a combination of the three, would those settings translate over to the embedded assignments form (report) in the Jobs form?????

P.S. Mark, I didn't see your 2nd response before I posted the above.

Yes, it was now showing the correct reports, but now un-editable.

I will test your other suggestions now. Thanks for the help (as always)!
    Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com