Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Form Appearance on Mobile

• 1.  Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 12:29
    For sake of clients viewing portions of their own data, we embed Quickbase forms into a portal/viewer.  The forms are specified through embedded URL's containing RID, DFID and of course, IFV=1.  Unfortunately, the mobile side of Quickbase just isn't on the same playing field with the browser based version, in terms of controlling what is/isn't visible, among other things.  The bottom line is that I need to show an alternate form (blank form with message saying 'not mobile compatible' or something of that nature) when the form is accessed via mobile.

KEEP IN MIND that controlling what form is seen via role association for EOTI is NOT an option here.  In order to make the data consumable, we use (5) different forms, containing topic based data, and formatted for best consumption of the particular dataset.  The only way I know of to do this is by dictating which forms are viewed through DFID being specified in the URL.  

Also, these URL's are not visible to the client, and I won't change that.  They are embedded behind our client portal viewer, and associated with buttons/tabs that call up the embedded form without disclosing the URL to the client (or competitor).  

Given that the specific form is called up via DFID in the URL, is there any way to tell Quickbase to show completely different information, or simply hide all but one information field or something, when accessed via mobile device?  Either that, or force the full form to be shown on mobile device and ignore mobile versions? That would not make the forms very useable, but at least it would force the mobile version to conform to the rules from the full version.  (i.e. ability to get to 'home' buttons and other QB interface things that can't be easily hidden, especially with new restrictions from QB, to hide via IFV=1 command like the full version does).

At this point, I'm perfectly fine with blocking the entire client access system unless they're on a computer, and simply displaying a message that says 'these records cannot be accessed from mobile devices'.  Not ideal, but I'm running out of options.

------------------------------
    Joe Hargrave

• 2.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 13:10
    Hey Joe,

Try this

Home
    Settings
    App Properties
    and look into the middle of the screen where you can force Desktop as opposed to "Auto" in the "Default View"

Auto means to Automatically detect the Mobile vs Desktop as a device.  Desktop means force Desktop full screens.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 13:16
    Awesome, thanks Mark!  One concern though, and this might open a bigger can of worms:   Is this app-wide?  Since you know the app so well, I obviously can't limit all our logged in users / contractors, etc. to full web version of everything, as the mobile app works great for those purposes.  This is only for the clients / EOTI use-age.  Will this still be a solution you think?

Joe Hargrave

• 4.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 13:57
    Ahhhh,  no this is definitely a master switch for all users, app wide, all users wide.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 14:36
    OK, well scratch that.  Can't go that route, unless I moved all client portal questionnaire elements to a second app.  And that sounds like a silly amount of work.  No other route for this?  This may be a massive roadblock for me.

Joe Hargrave

• 6.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 14:41
    Well maybe you are back to a message at the top of the form asking them to use Desktop?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 15:19
    Nah, this is where quickbase limitations come in.  I can't let them access some of these from mobile, because I can't remove the built-in QB navigation from mobile. That has been a big problem for a long time, and how they've managed to ignore it baffles me.  By embedding reports on a form that is visible to clients, they get access to data they simply don't get on the full site, no matter what I do.  I can restrict things, and I've built pages saying 'you're lost' and stuff, and it sorta works, but that's a horrible customer experience.  Kinda like the horrible customer experience QB is creating for me by not fixing basic 101 shit that should have been a long time ago. It is what it is I guess.  I'm going to have to see if I can find a third party solution to redirect mobile traffic I guess, since I can't access the code to do it myself.

Joe Hargrave

• 8.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 17:56
    I know that Trinity does some pretty good work with Mobile.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-07-2021 12:10
    Hey Mark,
    So I found the solution for this, just FYI.  And I found it by googling different terms, which led me to a similar question that YOU actually answered a year or so ago.  LOL.  Either I didn't explain myself well enough, or this simple solution didn't occur to you, but here's the solution I got from your previous post, and it works perfectly for my application.

For each of the five new forms I'm using within Clientpoint's browser (our client portal solution where we embed lots of things, some of which come from Quickbase) - I simply add &fullver=1 to the end of the URL, and it forces the full version for that URL, which solves my issue perfectly! 

Just thought I'd report back that I found the answer..... from the 'ghost-of Mark-past'.

Joe Hargrave

• 10.  RE: Form Appearance on Mobile

Posted 03-05-2021 14:38
    Is there anything that can be done with the URL to create a re-route based on minimum pixel width or device type?  Just thinking of anything I can.

Joe Hargrave