Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CALENDAR

• 1.  CALENDAR

Posted 12-03-2020 17:54
    Our regular projects have 10 tasks associated with them that get scheduled out and assigned to a team member. We are needing to see all of these tasks on a calendar. I know that the calendars and capable of displaying content for only one table, but is there a way to maximize it within one table for multiple fields/tasks?

------------------------------
    Andrea

• 2.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-03-2020 19:20
    Are you building the calendar report off the task table? The calendar will be able to show one entry per task.   If for some reason you have multiple fields on that task with different values and different dates than that cannot be displayed on the calendar. You would have to make some kind of formula field to combine all that and show that combined field. But of course they would have to all show for the same date.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-03-2020 19:22
    Hi Mark!

I am building it off of the task table. There are two tasks with drop down options and then a team assigned to each that needs to be shown.

• 4.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-03-2020 19:26
    I'm still not understanding.   You may be saying is that some tasks have team A and Team B assigned to them in drop-down field. If that is the case you can create a formula field to combine those two teams and then show both teams on the calendar report. Does that answer your question?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-03-2020 20:35
    I have two issues:

1. You can only base the calendar on one field and I have two that need to show up.

2. They need to show up based on their assigned dates which are assigned by two separate date fields.

• 6.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-03-2020 22:21
    You can have multiple fields if you make a formula to combine the fields.

But you can't have multiple dates.

you will need to abandon the possibility of the calendar report or consider splitting the tasks into individual tasks. Ie not have dual tasks.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-04-2020 08:06

Just to be sure, can they be combined because they will be scheduled as separate tasks on separate days. I am still, but I'm sure if it can be done I can figure out a formula eventually.

Andrea

• 8.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-04-2020 08:28
    OK, now that I see that record I can see what the issue is. The design of your app will not allow you to display these on a calendar. You would need to have the concept of a parent child relationship where one project has many tasks.
    There is a way in QuickBase for example to push a button and have a standard set of child tasks be automatically created for the project. Then every task will be  has separate record and have its own dates and you would be able to have easy reporting such as overdue tasks.

I would strongly suggest that you consider redesigning your app. Let me know if you need any more help on that thought process but as I said the way you are going about this app is really not best practice. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-04-2020 08:47
    Ok. I built this during the trial and I haven't been with Quick Base very long so I'm grateful for any information about best practices so moving forward I know my base structure is strong. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I will dig through some example apps to see if I can get a little guidance getting this switched around. The calendar will be a key part of our communication so I want to make sure it's done correctly.

I have only asked one other question on here and you answered and got me headed in the right direction. I certainly appreciate the time you spend here helping.

• 10.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-04-2020 08:56
    There are several sample apps in the Exchange for "Project Management" so that is one way to start.  I can see that you have standard Tasks for each Project so if you do start with a sample app or stay with your own app and it does not have the capability to push a button and add a set of standard  child Tasks to a Parent Project, then I'm certainly able to help you with that either on this Community Forum or with a quick no charge Zoom call session.

That concept of one Project having many Tasks in  two separate tables with a relationship is a very fundamental design issue to get correct at the start.  It's actually great that you ran into that obstacle early in your app design process before going too far down a dead end.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: CALENDAR

Posted 12-29-2020 16:37

Just an update:  I was able to create this without restructuring our current work flow. Our work flow does not follow best practices, but it does work best for us. After speaking with our build-out tech, this was accomplished through a few simple automations and works great! We now have a calendar that shows all of our tasks, employee holidays, events, anniversaries, and all the other things we need!

Andrea