Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 15:53
    Creating a URL button to instantly grid edit the children of a specific parent.

I know that I can have a button that shows me all the children associated with the parent (report link) but I am trying to figure out how to make it so that I am already in a grid edit by the time I arrive on that page.

The URLs for grid editing the same list of items that I choose to view have quite a few differences and I'm not sure where it's pulling those differences from or how to automate the link to be a grid edit link.

Report Link:
    domain.quickbase.com/db/bqkfg9238?a=s&query=%7B%2716%27.TV.%276%27%7D&opts=disprec

Grid Edit Link:
    domain.quickbase.com/db/bqkfg9238?a=q&qid=8&dlta=mx%7B%2716%27.TV.%276%27%7D%7Emog%7E&ridlist=14240&qskip=0&qtbtx=__none&_fid_20=6&navBack=true

Any thoughts?

------------------------------
    Rosson Long

• 2.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:00
    Let's first rule of the obvious normal way.  If the parent has an embedded table of the children  and you edit the form properties for the report link field you can put the children into grid edit mode automatically when you edit the parent record.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:08
    The children are part of another app so having them set as "editable" in the form rules doesn't seem to make them editable by default when I view them. I still hit "Grid Edit" on the list of related children. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong and that's why the children records are not editable when I arrive on the form?

Our employees do this every day and they are in China so their page load times are typically a bit slower so I'm trying to decrease the number of page loads they need to perform a rather monotonous task.

Right now the fastest way is still to click the report link and then click "grid edit" on the top right hand side.

Mainly just curious if I can make this any faster and just have them arrive on a page where they are already editing the children.

Rosson Long

• 4.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:14
    There is a report type called Grid Edit.

Make a perfect report with an <ask the user> field on related Parent.
    run the report and answer the question with any parent.

Observe the URL and mimic it

URLRoot() & "db/xxxxxxx" & "?a=q&qid=99&nv=1&v0=" & [record ID#]

That says to run a report #99 which has 1 question (nv=1) and the answer to the zeroth question (it likes to start numbering at zero) is [Record ID#]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:13
    Then again, I can't get the "editable" checkbox to change how any of my report links work when they are shown in a form. You still have to click "Grid Edit" on the top of the table showing the children from within the form. (The "Editable" checkbox doesn't seem to do much).

Rosson Long

• 6.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:15
    Editable means that if the Parent is in edit mode to also make the children editable.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:26
    So maybe just have the users edit the parent and then the children will be in grid edit.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 16:31
    Got it. I'll try these out and see which solution works best for the team. Thanks a ton for all the input and help! That makes a lot more sense on the grid edit part for the drop down list.

Rosson Long

• 9.  RE: Creating a URL to grid edit children. (Like a report link but grid edit rather than view).

Posted 07-24-2020 18:04
    Making them editable in the form looks like the best solution. In fact, it's probably better than what we were doing before. Makes way more sense. Very good call. Thank you Mark!!

Rosson Long