Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  How to order Pie (and other charts) Label Segments other than alpha or value?

Posted 11-30-2021 06:15

Hopefully there is a simple answer to this question.....

I need to order Pie Chart and Funnel Charts Labels in a fashion other than alphabetic by label or value of the segment.Example:   Five Project Phases:   Initiating, Planning, Executing, Delivering, Closing.   Labels on these charts need to progress in that specific order of labels.   Neither alphabetic by label of value of the contents with the series segment 'tell' the story needed. 

How do I order the segments on these charts by a custom order sequence of labels?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Annetta Coleman

• 2.  RE: How to order Pie (and other charts) Label Segments other than alpha or value?

Posted 11-30-2021 06:32
    Assuming that these phases are chosen from a multiple-choice test you should be able to set the field properties for that multiple choice list sort "in the order listed above".  Just make sure they are listed in the order that you want.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: How to order Pie (and other charts) Label Segments other than alpha or value?

Posted 11-30-2021 06:55
    The multiple choice field does have them 'in the order listed above'.   The problem is that when I create a pie or funnel (or any other) graphical chart using that field as the series, the chart is displayed by either label (alphabetic) or value (of the contents).   Clearly a chart like a funnel chart needs to be in a specific order.   I created another formula text field to place a leading number prefix, but that solution is too clunky for our executives.   I shouldn't have to convert Initiating, Planning ... Closing Phases to 1.Initiating, 2.Planning ... 5.Closing to simply control the order through the funnel.    Ugh!!   What other options can control series label order?

Annetta Coleman

• 4.  RE: How to order Pie (and other charts) Label Segments other than alpha or value?

Posted 11-30-2021 07:02
    I think you are stuck with numbering. I looked back on a Funnel chart I did and I see that I had to number it as well.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: How to order Pie (and other charts) Label Segments other than alpha or value?

Posted 11-30-2021 07:04
    If you want to hide the numbering though what you can do is have a formula Field that prefaces the phases with an appropriate number of leading spaces on each phase so that they sort alphabetically.

A space as a prefix sorts first in the alphabet and two Spaces sorts higher than one space.  So you play around with the spaces  in a formula field called [Phases sorted] and the the executive users will never notice the  leading spaces.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: How to order Pie (and other charts) Label Segments other than alpha or value?

Posted 11-30-2021 07:59
    Yeah....  I am probably a bit phobic about needing to number phases to get the labels to present in the correct (non-alphabetic) order.   Comes from too many years of presenting to senior leadership who can be very particular about details.   :)

I will happily settle on labels that have some padded spacing.   THANKS for providing an alternative.

Annetta Coleman