Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  TABLE-TABLE RELATIONSHIP

Posted 02-13-2020 18:59
    I am a new user, so my question is very basic.  I have 3 tables within a single app.  All 3 tables contain the same Last Name field and First Name field.  I've tried (unsuccessfully) to create a T-T relationship so that the names automatically populate from the first table (parent?) to the other 2 tables (children?).  I could use some coaching on accomplishing this task.
    Thanks in advance for your reply,
    Bruce

------------------------------
    Bruce Kasen

• 2.  RE: TABLE-TABLE RELATIONSHIP

Posted 02-13-2020 19:14
    Can you tell us how much data is in these tables now and how the future data entry will work? Will the data be imported or will it be entered by hand.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: TABLE-TABLE RELATIONSHIP

Posted 02-13-2020 20:39
    For the app in question, except for the 2-3 common fields (i.e., last name, first name and maybe 1-2 others common fields), the data will be entered manually.  This is an HR app with about 30-35 employees.
    Bruce

Bruce Kasen

• 4.  RE: TABLE-TABLE RELATIONSHIP

Posted 02-13-2020 20:48
    OK, so the right way to build this app is to leave the key fields as Record ID#.  Then build a relationship where 1 Parent has many children.  You will need two relationships, one for each of the two child tables.

I suggest making a field on the Parent EE record for Full Name.

The formula would be

List(" ", [First name], [last name]) 

Then look that field up down to the child table

Edit the field for Related Employee on the child table to set the proxy field to be that Full Name field.

Put that Full name field on the child form and if related Employee was also on the form, remove it from the form.

Set the Full Name field to be a link to the Parent EE Record.

When the user has child date to enter, they will launch off the EE record to add the child and the EE Full name will auto complete.  In fact I suggest editing the form properties for the child table form to make that [Full name] field not be editable.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: TABLE-TABLE RELATIONSHIP

Posted 02-13-2020 20:49
    Thank you Mark.  I'll try it tomorrow.  Have a good evening.

Bruce Kasen