Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-20-2021 16:10
    Hi,

I am trying to get a date and time field from a child to a parent. I tried Maximum value, but it is not doing what I need it to do. Essentially I need the date and time field to be used as a filter for data that I have brought over to the parent table from the child table. 

Ex. team members work a project. I need to summarize the # of project per team member for a specific period of time. but I would like to pick the time frame in the parent table.

Is this possible?

thank you in advance.​

------------------------------
    Zana S

• 2.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-20-2021 20:40
    It's not so clear from the question, but I will assume that 
    One Team member Has Many Projects.

You want to enter a date range on the Team Member table (ie two fields called [Analysis Star] and [Analysis End] and you want to know how may projects they worked on during that period.

Is that the question? if so, do the child projects record have a start and stop date on them?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 08:17
    Hi,

yes that is correct one team member has many projects. in the child table for Projects I do have a completed date and time and that is what I want to bring over. I want to be able to report projects by time frame for the team member, but seems I can only summarize the fields by time frame, I have not found a way to bring everything over and then create reporting in the parents table so I can filter by timeframe.

hope this makes sense.

thank you

Zana S

• 4.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 09:07
    I suggest that you turn your thinking upside down. Create a summary report on the child projects table and you will be able to group it by team member say down the page and then across the top you can have Date by week project completed and in the Cells will be the number of projects.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 09:17
    thank you Mark, the challenge I am having is that I need to make a formula field that adds the project per team member in addition to 2 other variables. I have not been able to make a formula field in the child table that can add the number records in the child table plus the other variables in one field.
    I tried Summary formulas in the reporting, but I cannot get all the fields to cooperate. but it works in the parent table. 
    This is the formula I am using but it is limiting to the time frame of the fields I am bringing over. 

((([# of Chart Previous Week]+([Extensive Logged Report Types Previous Week]*0.1)+([Total # of No Info/Search Fee Previous Week]/[Quota Multiplier]))/[Previous Week Duration in Seconds])*3600)

Zana S

• 6.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 10:33
    If your calculations are all for children which are "during the previous week"., the you can make a summary field which counts children where a date field is During the Previous 1 week(s).

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 10:44
    Hi,

That is exactly what I did, but I was trying to give my management team the ability to pull the totals at will for any dates without having to do a bunch of summary fields for specific time periods.

If it is not possible, understood, was just trying to find a workaround.

thank you so much for your help.

Zana S

• 8.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 10:50
    Zana,

If I understand your goal correctly, I think this can be done with the new Dashboards. You would create a report with the amount (currency) field and whatever other fields you want, add the report to the Dashboard, then add a global filter.

Mark also has a creative way using a 'User Focus' table, but for this you would want to work with him offline and have him consult. I highly recommend his consulting services!

Mike Tamoush

• 9.  RE: Date and Time Field from Child to Parent

Posted 07-21-2021 11:38

OK, if you want to set a global variable you can create a table called Admin Date with one record in it. Set the date there. 

That record will be a record ID #1

make a field on your projects table called Link to a date tangle as a formula numeric with   Formula of 

make a relationship where one admin date has many projects based on that formula  1. field  

Look  up the Admin Date 

use it in a formula or summary field using that date vs the Project Date  

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com