Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Create New Entry, Options

Posted 11-05-2019 11:45
    I have a parent and child table (Projects --> Invoices). I want my users to be in a project and create an invoice (so it automatically is assigned to that project).

However, I also want them to be able to go to the invoices table and do some searching, via dynamic fields, etc (and utilize a kanban report of invoice status). While in the invoice table, I DON'T want them to be able to create an invoice, because it will not be linked to a specific project (unless they choose the project of course, but I just want to eliminate this entire option for simplicity and less errors).

Is there a way to do that? Is there a permission I can utilize?

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Create New Entry, Options

Posted 11-05-2019 13:46
    In the Role settings for the User Interface, you should disable the show Add button for some or all Roles.  Users can still Add records, but not with the add button.  This is the normal setup when you only want records created if they will be child record to a parent.  (no orphans allowed).  

As for pushing a button to create an invoice, this can be doe either with an Automation or a URL formula button or simply the native Add Child button that comes with every relationship.  That will pop up the Add Record form and populate the [Related Parent], but leave the user to fill in the fields and save the child (invoice).

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Create New Entry, Options

Posted 11-05-2019 17:34
    The add button disable is exactly what I needed. I didn't realize that wouldn't completely restrict them from adding.

Mike Tamoush

• 4.  RE: Create New Entry, Options

Posted 11-05-2019 22:43
    Adding to Mark's response, when you create parent child relationship, add child url button is default created for you. You can edit this url formula to place addition condition to show the 'add' option  .
    example: 
    If ( a=b and c=d,
    URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID] & "?a=API_GenAddRecordForm&_fid_6=" & URLEncode ([Record ID#])& "&z=" & Rurl()
    )
    replace the dummy variables and conditions as needed.

Babi Panjikar

• 5.  RE: Create New Entry, Options

Posted 11-06-2019 07:54
    Mike,

I have found that the Green Add button is very problematic.  Unless a record is sitting at the very top of your ERD, I suggest you takeaway that button.  Don't let people create child records unless they are inside of the parent.   The orphan records will pollute your DB.

Don

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH