Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-08-2020 00:10
    Is the typical behavior when using grid edit on a report link (child table) that if you try to add records to the bottom, you must manually select the parent? It doesn't automatically associate?

Also, on some of mine, adding new ones simply leaves the related field blank, the others it chooses a seemingly random parent (though its not quite random, when I double click the cell to select the parent, in one instance it simply says 'Browse Choices', this is the blank case. In another scenario, it has one random parent that can be selected, and then 'Browse Choices'. This is the case where it fills in that random parent, that actually doesn't exist...).

Does anyone know how all this behavior is supposed to work?

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-08-2020 07:59
    The usual and normal behavior is that you are certainly allowed to add child records  by simply adding extra rows onto the bottom of an embedded trial report on a parent record and they will automatically link to the parent. Is there something unusual about the set up of the relationship?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-08-2020 11:36
    Maybe I will ask customer support. Have you tried lately? It's not just one of my report links or one table, its global for me. I have 3 apps and 100's of tables. I can choose any one and try to add a child via grid edit and I get the same behavior. It does not link to the parent unless you go find it in the related field. I can screen share and show you if you like sometime.

Mike Tamoush

• 4.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-08-2020 11:40
    I suggest Support first.  I just tried it on a test app and it worked just fine.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-08-2020 11:50
    Hmm. So it's local to my realm but not a specific app. I've put in a ticket.

Mike Tamoush

• 6.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-10-2020 10:34
    It is confirmed by support and the escalation team that this is a known bug. I do not know why it is only a bug in some realms and not across the board...

Mike Tamoush

• 7.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-10-2020 11:18
    Are you actually saying that you cannot add records in grid edit mode. In any of your apps and tables.  That's crazy.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Grid Edit Typical Behavior?

Posted 12-10-2020 12:26
    Edited by Michael Tamoush 12-10-2020 12:26
    I can add in grid edit mode, but it wont relate them to the parent. You have to manually choose the parent. And even stranger, in some cases the parent is blank, and in some cases it selects a seemingly arbitrary parent.....yes it is really really inconvenient and screwing me up and I hope they fix fast. What I don't understand is why it isn't across the board. Like, how is my realm the chosen one...? I am curious how many others are encountering this issue.

And yes it's global - all apps and all tables. It's a bit of a nightmare.

Mike Tamoush