Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

• 1.  Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-27-2020 11:35
    I have several notification reports that go out each morning.  Some of the emails are not reaching the intended recipient when they in an Outlook Distribution List.  Any thoughts?

------------------------------
    Paul Peterson

• 2.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-28-2020 09:42
    Hi Paul,

Just to clarify the automatic notification is going to an email address like thisisadistrolist@mycompany.com, and it is being received by some users on that distro list but not all? Or it is not going to any of the users you are sending to who are on that distro list? My thought would be if it isn't going to any of the users who are on a distro list you are emailing to it could simply be getting caught by that distro lists spam filter and being marked as junk, and a double check of that list's permissions might have it capturing that Quick Base notification. That would be different though if only specific people aren't getting emails that are passed through that list but other users on that same list are.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 3.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-28-2020 12:32
    Evan, 

Yes, it is going to an email like the one you listed.  We are working with IT to determine if the notifications are making it to the server or not.  the notifications are going to the individual emails and some of the DL list addresses.

Paul Peterson

• 4.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-28-2020 14:00
    Hi Paul,

That is an odd one if some of the members of the distribution list are getting the emails but others on the list are not. If you are looking to get confirmation if emails were sent out if you put in with the Care team and let them know the specific notification and table you are having issues with they can look to confirm that emails are triggering or if there are times when it should have triggered and didn't.

Evan Martinez
    Quick Base

• 5.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-28-2020 15:28
    This may seem like a stupid question, How do I reach the Care team?

Paul Peterson

• 6.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-28-2020 15:41
    Edited by Evan Martinez 07-28-2020 15:41
    Hi Paul,

That is not a stupid question at all, I normally put it in on all my responses where I tell someone to contact Care and of course this time I was running to a meeting and didn't. You can reach out Care team when you are signed into Quick Base by selecting the question mark icon that appears in the upper right hand corner in Quick Base and picking 'Manage support cases' or when you are signed into Community here in the upper right hand corner if you hit support that will also take you to put in a case with our Care team. Let me know if you have any trouble with either of those methods when you put in a case. They are a great resource for system stuff like this where it is helpful to be able to get an idea what is going on with both sides of the email. 

Evan Martinez
    Quick Base

• 7.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-29-2020 16:39
    Thank you Evan,

I heard back from the Care team.  DLs won't work in a notification email.  Could I use a pipeline to send emails to a DL?

Paul Peterson

• 8.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-29-2020 17:13
    I don't see why an Open Notification would not work with a distribution list. We do that all the time.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-30-2020 08:39
    This was the response from the Care team:

"Unfortunately you can't use a distribution list as a valid email unless the list is set up as a user inside the application. You also have to be sure that the distribution list is set up to receive emails from quick base or they will get rejected. It's a bit of a hassle to set up and you have to make a user and use a paid seat for that distribution list but if you really want to use a distribution list those are the steps you have to go through."

Paul Peterson

• 10.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-30-2020 08:47
    That response would only be valid if the Notification type is "Recipient" where Quick Base needs to evaluate Permissions to know if the record and it's fields are valid to email.  I don't think that response is valid for a Notification Type of Open.

Also note that the default setting for new Quick Base accounts is not to allow external email notifications (ie, Type Open) to non Users.  If you put in a ticket they can quickly change that switch.  If that switch is not set, it just quietly fails, so it's frustrating to debug.

if you really do need a Recipient Type Notification or for that matter a Subscription to go to a dist list, then you can register that email address as a user.  Yes, it costs you a seat, but maybe is worth it for a purpose.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Notifications not sending correctly to Distribution Lists

Posted 07-30-2020 09:27

Thank you Mark,

I am checking with the Care team to see if they can make that change. 

Paul Peterson