Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-18-2020 16:14

This question seems like it should have an easy enough answer, but for the life of me I cannot figure this out.  The hardest thing is to explain exactly what I want to happen, so here goes.

I have a table called "Pass Down", this table is the main table for my application and is used by four different test areas on our manufacturing floor.  The data collected from each test area is almost exactly the same and they all use the same product identifiers for specific fields.  Three of the test areas test components of the final product, while the fourth is a whole product final test, which needs to be able to access the pass downs of the other areas.

The four areas are:
    Bias Electrode
    RF Cart
    Top Plate
    PM Test

The first three feed the fourth.

So what I am trying to do is create fields that look for any record created that has the same data entered into two specific fields and then create a link to the record.  The two fields that I need to use for filtering are "PM Serial Number" and "FCID", of course the filter will have to accommodate the "Test Area" as well to differentiate the records to individual fields.

I have been trying to figure out if this is something best done through a formula or is this only possible via same-table relationship?

------------------------------
    Michael Clark

• 2.  RE: How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-18-2020 16:28
    Ok, so I am kinda answering my own post because I hadn't tried just adding a report field without a table to table relationship.
    It does what I want, but its uglier than having some formula-url buttons that link to the reports.  

If anyone can come up with a slick hyperlink that will direct to a record that meets the filter criteria, I would still be interested in knowing how to go about doing this.

Michael Clark

• 3.  RE: How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-18-2020 16:36
    Have you set the form to display the matching records directly on your form as an embedded report.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-18-2020 16:34

A simple Report Link field and a formula text field may solve your issue. 

You do not need to have a relationship to have a Report Link field. That field type will run any report and filter where a field on the record matches a field in another table or in a table in another app, or the same table. 

So, for example if you created a formula text field To concatenation other fields together separated by say a hyphen, then the report link field would be configured with that formula field And will show records in the table which match the one you are viewing. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-18-2020 20:10
    Right now I am using the report field with filtering done by the actual report.

It will do for now, and if this is the only way to link reports from the same table to a new report in the table based on a field value, then so be it.  I really would like to have hyperlink buttons that have the address of the related reports based on the criteria I have just for the ease of placement and making it a bit more user friendly.

Michael Clark

• 6.  RE: How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-19-2020 01:01
    If your actual objective is to show a hyperlink button to push to get a report then yes this is quite possible. I will post back when I get a chance.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: How do I link to records within the same table?

Posted 01-19-2020 02:29
    If you want to make a url formula button to run a report which need to be filtered by some field values in the record, you can do this:

Make your perfect report which is filtered with <ask the user> questions.

Run the report and answer the questions and observe the URL.

then we will make a URL formula to mimic that one and have the button answer it's own questions.

URLRoot & " db/" & dbid() & "?a=q&qid=99&nv=2&v0=" & URLEncode([my field 1]
    & "&v1=" & urlencode([my field 2])

That says to  run the report number 99 which has 2 variables to be supplier and the variable zero (I don't know why by it starts counting at zero) is equal to that field 1 and then variable 1 (the 2nd variable) will be my field 2.

The reason for the URLEncode is in case the data in the fields has some characters like spaces or special characters which are not allowed in URLs in the Internet.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com