Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 01-21-2022 16:53
    Any option to sort a Text list with words in alphabetical order? 

I need to sort something like this: BB;CC;AA;DD;EE;GG;FF to AA;BB;CC;DD;EE;FF;GG in a formula.

I'm currently looking at using Part to break the list into individual elements then use Min to look for the elements and extract the first word, but then I need to recreate the list minus the word I already found, this need to happen for every word (max 20)
    I'm already in like 40 with no end in sight

Am I on the right track? 
    Any help will be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Saar Litman

• 2.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 01-21-2022 16:56
    What is the source of the text list?  Is it a multi select field?  or a combined text Summary or the result of a Formula Query - I'm thinking the latter which is sorted by Record ID#.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 01-21-2022 17:05
    The source is a combination of 2 text fields in the same record,
    I SearchAndReplace([Name]& " " &[Description]," ",";") and then need to sort the words alphabetically. 

Saar Litman

• 4.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 01-21-2022 18:14
    I guess I am not understanding. How do you get that long text string.  So there is no relationship and not a combined text summary field?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 03-11-2022 17:52
    Not to hijack the thread, but I just encountered the same need and my text list source is the result of a Formula Query which does appear to be sorted by Record ID#.

Mike Freyder

• 6.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 12-27-2022 16:22
    I have the same need as well.  Based on my investigation, this is not possible in a Formula.  If you have figured out a solution, please share, but it really does not seem possible at this time.  None of the existing Formula functions offer the tools to sort.

For how powerful Quickbase is, there are always very obvious holes in the product and chinks in the armor.  Still a very good product!

• 7.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 02-28-2023 14:05

Hi Joel

Any luck with a solution for this? :) I am facing the exactly same situation.... 

Sergio Sanchez

• 8.  RE: Sorting TextList in formula

Posted 03-01-2023 10:04

No luck.  They almost give you the tools to do this in a Formula field.  But not quite.