Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Conditional Dropdown - from one contact to many

Posted 07-28-2021 19:40
    I have three tables - Company, Employee, and Activity.

Each Activity relates to only one Company, and each Company can have many Employees.

I have a conditional dropdown in the Activity screen so that when you choose a Company for an Activity, you then can see all that Company's Employees, and pick one to relate to your Activity.

OK, but now they want to be able to choose multiple Employees from that Company, not just one.  I want to be able to pick multiple Employees from the Conditional Dropdown, not just one, and I want the email addresses associated with those Employees to be stored in a text field, preferably separated by semicolons, so I can put the entire string in the body of a Calendar invite (which I'm already creating, that part is done), and the user can then copy and paste that string  into  the Attendees field in the invitation to invite all the people in the Employee list to the Activity.

Is this possible?  I'd like info on how to allow the user to choose multiple Employees in the conditional dropdown Employee field, and how to create the field with all the matching Employee email addresses.

------------------------------
    Charlotte

• 2.  RE: Conditional Dropdown - from one contact to many

Posted 07-28-2021 19:45

You will need to create another table called activity contacts.

One activity has many activity contacts.
    One contact has many activity contacts.

You can still get the Conditional drop down to work so that when you go to add an  activity contact launching off the Activity record, the only contacts that are offered will be those from the correct company.

Once you get that working, You will be able to create a formula field called [email in text format]  On the activity contact record with simply converts the email address into a text field  

Then once you have that working you can use a combined text summary field to summarize the email addresses in text format up to the activity record.

Then if you want to convert that to a semicolon to limited field you can use the formula field to change the combine text summary field into a plain text field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Conditional Dropdown - from one contact to many

Posted 07-30-2021 17:18
    Edited by Charlotte Morin 07-30-2021 17:17

I've created the Activity Contacts table, the relationships, and the conditional dropdown.  But on the Activities form, It's only allowing me to add one new person/Activity Contact at a time.  Is there a way to see all of the Employees for the Company in one list, and click the one/s that are needed for the current activity, then have those choices populated as different records in the Activity Contacts table?

Charlotte

• 4.  RE: Conditional Dropdown - from one contact to many

Posted 07-30-2021 17:51
    You can only add them one at a time. 

But I do have a technique using native Quickbase which I can implement for you which would take about 1 hour of consulting time to allow you do do the quick multi select that you are looking for.  I can do a short demo and then do the work on a live zoom call.  Contact me directly by email if you want to discuss further.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Conditional Dropdown - from one contact to many

Posted 07-31-2021 18:17

Thanks. I've got all this working; will let you know if they want it as a dropdown.

Now of course, they decided they want multiple team members as well as multiple contacts outside the company  - 

I have that all working but there is a twist - instead of restricting outside Contacts to the company they work for (which I have working as a classic Conditional Dropdown) I now want to restrict the Team Members seen to Current ones (which is a checkmark field on the Team Members Table), and which I've added to the Relationship Table as well.

When I go to Related Team Member to set the Conditional Values field in Reference Field Options, 

I want to say "The Values in this field depend on a selection in another field -  Show Only Team Members where Team Member Current = Yes."

But the only option is Show Only Team Members related to some other field (not "Yes" in a field).

How to restrict these values in a dropdown by some feature in the same record?  (In this case, whether they are current or not?)

Charlotte

• 6.  RE: Conditional Dropdown - from one contact to many

Posted 07-31-2021 18:59
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 07-31-2021 19:00
    BNo problem,
    You are overthinking this.

When you have a drop down field, instead  of using the standard record picker, you can create any report you would like and set the form properties for the drop-down field to use that report. 

So just make a report of active Contacts and set the form properties to use that report. In order to prevent people accidentally messing around with that report I typically name the report something like

Used on XYZ form for active employee drop down

and set the report to be viewable by nobody.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com