Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Pie Chart Total

• 1.  Pie Chart Total

Posted 05-26-2021 10:58
    I am creating a Pie Chart, I want to display the sum of all slices of the pie chart onto the chart or as a separate slice.

------------------------------
    Del

• 2.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-04-2021 16:45
    Has this been answered somewhere?

Annetta Coleman

• 3.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-04-2021 18:33
    There is no way to show the total number of records included in the pie chart. You are right they only show the number for each slice of the pie but not in total. You would have to have some kind of companion gauge chart or pie chart that gave the total.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-04-2021 22:44

Mark -

I don't understand, then the whole concept of creating a summary formula using distinct count in the pie chart if there is no way to actually use the summary formula on the pie chart.   How / where would the pie chart summary formula be demonstrated?   Separately, how would one create a companion gauge chart that associates to the data that has been included in dynamic filters?

Use Case:   

• We have ~400 2021 projects in our project table.   
      • Each project identifies impacted value chain teams from a multi-select.  (Each project will impact 1-n value chains)
      • Each project identifies impacted markets from a multi-select.  (Each project will impact 1-n markets)
      • Each project identifies impacted systems.  (Each project will impact 1-n systems)
      • These 3 multi-select fields are dynamic filters.
    • Each project goes through 5 project phases.
    • Pie chart built to demonstrate Active Projects by Phase with dynamic filters to look at all, or various combinations from the dynamic filters.   
      • Pie chart dynamically changes based on the dynamic filters.   Each slice identifies the # of projects in slice and allows drill down to the subset records below the slice.
      • Easy to drop a picture of the pie if needed for an update presentation.
      • Problem:   It is untenable to do mentally or manually do the math of the sum of slices.   There MUST be a way to do this.    Thoughts????

Annetta Coleman

• 5.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-04-2021 23:32
      I suggest that you try using a stacked bar chart. Instead of your slices being slices of a pie they will be slices of a vertical bar chart. The total height of all the slices will be easily readable off the Y axis. 

I'm not sure if you have anything useful for the X axis. If not just make a dummy field which is the same for each record. Like "ALL". 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 00:12

Stacked Bar chart does not 'stack' by Phases because Phases is not an option in Y-axis.   So basically becomes a bar chart for each phase (which by the way has the SAME problem as the Pie Chart in that it doesn't provide a total for all phases.   

So frustrating to spend hours trying to format charts that can be accomplished in nano seconds in Excel.   Obviously exporting to Excel is not an option because that looses ALL of the dashboarding and dynamic fields that are in QuickBase.

There simply MUST be a way to get a total of slices (in pie chart ) or a total of bars (in bar chart) or to be able to customize the fields available for Y-axis (in stacked bar chart)   Thoughts?

Annetta Coleman

• 7.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 06:27
      Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 11-05-2021 06:27
      Please try the Stacked Bar again and set the Series to be Phases.  The Y axis will just be # of Projects. The height of the Bar will be the total, alight you will need to estimate how high it looks against the Y 

An alternative would be to use the same report but obviously that's not very visual.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 07:50

Hi Mark - 

In order for a stacked bar to 'stack' by phase if for Phase to be in the Y-axis.    Setting the series to Phase has same result as previously reported in anchoring the Phase to the X-axis which creates a standard bar chart with the same problem as the pie chart is that the total (number of projects of all phases) is not represented anywhere on the chart.

I remain curious related to:

1. What one would do with the report summary formula built in the report that counts distinct values?  I have created this but cannot figure out how to place the total anywhere on the chart.   
      2. How to create and trigger a 'companion gauge chart' you mentioned earlier in this thread?
      3. Maybe I didn't have enough coffee last night (or this AM), but it seems like I am missing a key fundamental aspect of pie (or stacked bar) charts to make them act like a standard industry pie or stacked bar chart that includes a simple total of the values in all slices of pie or all bars on chart. 

Annetta Coleman

• 9.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 08:02
      Can you try this and tell me the results. 

1. Create a formula text field called [ALL].   The formula will be "ALL".
      2. Make a stacked Bar Chart with ...
       - X axis is [ALL]
       - Y axis is # of Projects
       - Series is Phase.

As for your question 1, I don't see how that would help you to have the slices of the pie be count distinct values.   That won't help and you would lose the count of # of Projects.  I understand it, you want to be able to Visualize  the number of Projects by Phase and how are your users to use the dynamic filters to adjust which projects are included. 

For the companion gauge chart comment that I made well that would give you a total there is not a way to have the dynamic filters on one report magically automatically adjust the dynamic filters on another report. When I answered that question I did not realize that your users wanted to adjust the dynamic filters, I thought it was just a static pie chart say on the dashboard.

Give that Stacked Bar chart one more chance and let's see where we end up.  :)

​​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 09:01

Mark - 

Yes! this solution got the stacked bar to stack.   Not an impressive visual since there is only one bar that stretches horizontally to fill the entire space.   This could work if I could control the width of the bar.   Thoughts? 

The pie chart is much nicer visual and also has the benefit of showing both the count of projects by phase but also the % of projects by phase when user hovers over the slice.   Total count is obviously a value since the % of projects has to use this as a denominator.   If you or anyone else could advise on how to get total count to actually display on the pie chart, this is the far better visual.  Thoughts?

Once again, I am thankful to you personally for your engagement and stimulating me to think through alternatives to achieving the goal.

Best Regards,

Annetta

Annetta Coleman

• 11.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 09:01
      Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 11-05-2021 09:03
      When you put a stack bar chart on new dashboards they behave a bit differently than they do on regular reports or on regular home pages. The project counts for each of the stack bars would be embedded in the stack so they are easier to read.  And when you hover over the stack it will give you counts of all your individual Phases. Granted it still does not do the total that you are looking for but the Y axis gives that total visually. 

Anyways I just wanted to point out that if the Stacked Bar Chart chart starts to get close to what you need and you throw it on a new dashboard, it behaves a bit differently and perhaps better for your use case.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 09:07
      A suggestion for reducing the width of the Bar when there is only one bar is if it makes sense to use that X axis for something more useful than just ALL. 

For example perhaps these projects are in different regions of the country or they are run by different teams or different project managers or maybe there are different T-shirt sizes of projects, like XL, L, M, and S.  

i.e., If you have more than one stack then each stack would not be so wide.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 13.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 09:16

Yes, agree that having more stacks (by Value Chain or by Market or by T-shirt size of project) are various sets that would be improved by comparing projects within the set.   The master version however that allows mixture of more than one dynamic variable is SUPER nice to have.  

If you can figure out how to display the total on the pie chart, that would be strong preference for multiple dynamic filters.   Rather odd to me that QuickBase does not provide this option from a standard pie chart.   The variable is 'there' just cannot be displayed.   

Annetta Coleman

• 14.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 09:35
      Well I definitely agree with you that on the pie chart in particular showing the total of all the pizza slices would be very useful. 

There is a new system for suggestions / Request for Product Development.  They have just migrated user voice over to a new platform which I have not yet tested.   There is a tab for that at the left edge of the my apps page so if you put in that suggestion and there is a way to send a link to it I will give you some "Ranking" from me.  Ranking is like getting more votes.  

I know that some people here might think those just go into a black hole but in fact every single one is read by the relevant product manager for that aspect of the platform and is taken into account when they are assigning resources to development. Of course it's not their only source of Priorities but it's one of them, did you take some satisfaction of crossing ones off their list that have a lot of votes or in the new system a lot of ranking.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 15.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-05-2021 17:28
      I opened a feedback request.   Thanks!

Annetta Coleman

• 16.  RE: Pie Chart Total

Posted 11-30-2021 06:08
        |   view attached
      My problem was rather easily solved once I started using a Dashboard (rather than a Home Page).   
      Beside the pie chart I placed a Gauge report which serves to display the total count.

Annetta Coleman