Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

• 1.  How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 06:55

We have a Project Table that has numerous Children Tables including Tasks.   The Task Table rows are populated from a Task Master because each project is required to have the same ~50 tasks organized by sequence within 5 Phases.   Although the Project Managers have the ability to add additional subtasks on their project plans in Microsoft Project, they are not allowed to add new tasks or phases or re-order these tasks in QuickBase.  (Stakeholders view task status, milestones completed and timelines in QuickBase so the QB view is a dashboard of the corporate standard.)

The Project Managers can easily update the Task rows from a Grid/Edit report.   Opening up the Task Main Form is both confusing and unnecessary for PMs and for Stakeholders since literally everything they need to edit or view is on the Grid/Edit report.   We removed access to the Task Table from the Project Form, but some users are still going to the Task Form via the pencil and eyeball icons to the left of individual grid / edit rows.   I need to block their access to the Task Main Form altogether.

How to I remove the pencil and eyeball icons from this one grid / edit report?  

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------------------
    Annetta Coleman

• 2.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 08:25
    no problem,

Locate the report which is used as the embedded report on the project form and edit the configuration on that report to deselect "allow users to view" and "allow users to edit" . That will suppress the  view and edit icons on the embedded report in both view mode and grid edit mode.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 09:51

Mark -  Your recommendation doesn't make sense to me since prohibiting users to view and edit means that they cannot view or edit in either the main table nor on the embedded grid edit report.   I need them to view and/or edit the grid edit report.  

Separately, I posted this as a case to QuickBase and got the following response.
    • " Hi Annetta,
      Unfortunately, hiding either the edit or view button would restrict access to the table.
      In fact, if you decide to hide the view button, users in the role where that button is hidden won't have access to the table altogether as they not supposed to view any record.
      As for the pencil button, hiding that would also restrict access to editing records including the grid edit button (it would disappear).
      I also thought of using a grid edit report, but that is also bound by the same rules above (role rules) and would still contain the eye and pencil!
      I would suggest you to add this in our product feedback platform if you want to have this functionality built into Quickbase. (MyApps > Give Feedback on the left side of the screen)
      As always, if other questions come up don't hesitate to create a new ticket. We're here to help! "

Since I cannot turn off the pencil and eye icons from the grid edit report, I will point those to a form that clearly identifies that the form is intentionally turned off and they should view/edit from the embedded report on the parent table.   They can either hit the back button or I could create a button to return them to the parent table.   Any other more elegant recommendations?

Annetta Coleman

• 4.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 10:02
    Well surprisingly I think that customer care may have given you an incorrect answer. I suggest that you try my suggestion and change the settings on the embedded report to de-select Allow View / Allow edit. In my testing Grid Edit was still allowed.

Post back if it's not working that way for you but I just did a test and it worked for me.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 10:19
    Mark,

I suspect customer care may be thinking that you would restrict the view/edit at the role permissions level, while you are explaining to restrict the view/edit permissions at the report level, which as you mentioned, should work just fine.

Mike Tamoush

• 6.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 12:02

I may be confused on where you want me to control access.   I opened the specific grid edit report and tried all available options under the Reports & Charts panel.  (see attached picture).    NONE of the selections made ANY difference including choosing "No one; hide it".   In all options all roles who have edit access (at role permissions) were able to click through do the underlying table (this is what I want to restrict) and also edit from the embedded grid edit in the Parent form.   Similarly the Viewers (who have only view access at the role level to the table) were completely unaffected by any of the options.   

Perhaps the problem is that role permissions at the table level are in control?   So cannot restrict in this panel?    I am confused.     Please help.   Thanks!

Trying to restrict access to embedded grid edit report

Annetta Coleman

• 7.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 12:08
    np,
    View any typical Parent record.
    Right click near he Report link field for the embedded report to edit FORM Properties.
    locate the blue link to the report being used.
    Click the link to open up the configuration for the report.
    Scroll down to near the bottom and deselect "Allow Viewing records from this report" and "Allow editing records from this report".
    Save the report.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 12:39
    Mark -
    This worked PERFECTLY!!!!!

I am raising a special thanks to you this Thanksgiving for your tireless support of QuickBase community.   THANK YOU!!

Annetta Coleman

• 9.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 13:52
    Glad to help and enjoy a few days off or at least quiet solitude with Quickbase.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: How to turn off access to a child table Form so all data entry / view is from Grid Edit only

Posted 11-24-2021 14:03
    We are launching the MVP for a significant QB app on Dec.1.2021.   ~40 high use users beginning Dec.1 followed by another ~100 more casual viewers with numerous dashboards on Jan.3.2022.   We have already mapped out significant new functionality to be launched in mid Jan.2022.  

I have a punch list of things to further improve prior to MVP, so will likely be taking Thursday off, but working the rest of the weekend.   

Hope your Thanksgiving is a good one!

Annetta Coleman