Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Parsing Text field into Multi Select Text Field Options

Posted 10-17-2019 18:02
    Hi,

I'm doing a bulk data upload into a text field and I'm wondering if theres a way that I can take the items listed in regular text field (separated by comma) and transfer them into the options of a Multi Select Text field. Would need to look something like this:

Text Field:
    "Option 1, Option 2, Option 3"

Goes into:

Multi Select Text Field: 
    Option 1
    Option 2
    Option 3

Wondering if there is a formula that could generate the multi select list or if this is not something thats just not possible to do. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Coleen Schmitt

• 2.  RE: Parsing Text field into Multi Select Text Field Options

Posted 10-18-2019 02:33
    I don't have time to test right now but my guess is that you could make a formula field using the List function to create a semicolon delimited formula which lists your different options.
    Then I'm thinking that you can change the field type to a multi-select field type.

Then manipulate your data so that you would have a list of the valid options to enter in the multi selection field properties

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Parsing Text field into Multi Select Text Field Options

Posted 10-18-2019 09:45
    Edited by Evan Martinez 10-18-2019 09:45
    Hi Coleen,

Are you doing this import in from an Excel spreadsheet and that spreadsheet has the lists of options in cells as Option 1, Option 2, Options 3? In addition to Marks suggestion on how to change it in Quick Base you can also use the search and replace in Excel on the field that replace all of the commas in those cells with semi-colons before you do the import. Then you could import that data directly into a Multi-select Text field right from your import. For importing or exporting Multi-select Text fields Quick Base uses semi-colons to divide each choice in the Multi-select Text field. 

To use the Find and Replace in excel you would highlight the column with the list of options you want to search and replace in and then either hit Control+F or Use the search box in the upper right hand corner and then you select the little Magnifying glass and select Replace. From within that you can designate a character you want to use the replace what you are searching for. In this instance trading a comma for a semi-colon. So long as you specifically have the column you want to change highlighted it will stay focused on that column. Then when you do your import into Quick Base you can go right into that Multi select text field and save yourself a step in Quick Base.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 4.  RE: Parsing Text field into Multi Select Text Field Options

Posted 10-23-2019 15:51
    Hi Mark and Evan,

Sorry for my delayed response to both of your ideas. I think the Search and Replace in excel could actually be a simple resolve, and then converting the field into a multi select. Will give it a try - thank you both for your help!!

Coleen Schmitt

• 5.  RE: Parsing Text field into Multi Select Text Field Options

Posted 10-23-2019 23:23
    HI Coleen,  Quickbase can directly import the data into Multi-select Text field. You just need to align your import file (excel, csv) and format your field values for this field in ";" separated format. Exame: Value1; Value2; Value3. Import this file direct using import/export option and make sure the field is correctly mapped.

Babi Panjikar

• 6.  RE: Parsing Text field into Multi Select Text Field Options

Posted 10-24-2019 09:30
    As Mark suggested, you can also convert a string in a Formula- Multi - select - Text field (which uses the list function). See here for some examples of how to set it up: https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/formula-multi-select-text.html

Brian Cafferelli