Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Filtered User Dropdown

Posted 01-08-2021 09:36
    Edited by Evan Martinez 01-08-2021 10:12

I have a few user dropdown selections for say selecting a manager that I would like to filter who is shown in the list based on what is selected for users in another field, for instance a title field.  So, if user's title field shows as Manager, I want them to show in a form dropdown on a timesheet, but not all the other non-manager people. I would like it to be dynamically filtered this way versus a UserList, so as people's jobs change the dropdown will automatically update.  I think it's something like If([Employee – Title] = "Manager") but I cannot get it working yet.

Mark Strassel

• 2.  RE: Filtered User Dropdown

Posted 01-08-2021 10:05
    This can easily be done using a conditional drop-down.

To make this work you need a table of employees which has the employee name and their title. I presume you have that now. And I presume that is where the selection of the employee is coming from.

Then you need to have a table of titles.    In theory it can also be a multiple-choice list of titles but the more proper way is to have a table of titles.

You then set the field properties for the related person field to be conditional on first having selected a title.  

Here is a link to some help text on conditional drop downs.  https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/conditional_dropdowns.html

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Filtered User Dropdown

Posted 01-08-2021 13:08
    To be sure I'm understanding the request correctly, you have a form with a drop-down of users and you want to only show those users that are listed as a Manager, right?

If that is the case, then you will need to:
    1. Be sure that your drop-down isn't just a User field, but is a reference field to the table where your Employees are listed. (From your description, it sounds like this could be the same table where your drop-down is, which is fine.)
    2. Once you have that setup correctly, you will then want to create a report on your Employees table and filter that report based on the Title field.
    3. Then, go back to your form, edit the Element Properties of your drop-down and on the right side, select the report you just created. This tells the form to only show those employees that meet the criteria setup in the report. If anyone's title changes, the report will automatically update and so will the available names in the drop-down.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 4.  RE: Filtered User Dropdown

Posted 01-11-2021 14:26

Thanks for the tips. So I have a report in the Employees Table that filters the table based on certain values in the "Title" Field and I like the results.  I want to populate fields in multiple forms/tables based on this report or a variant of it.  I do not know how to point the fields to a report.

Mark Strassel

Project Engineer, T&D

Sturgeon Electric Company, Inc.

3804 E Watkins Street

Phoenix, AZ 85034

480.940.1986 (Main)

480.448.7228 (Direct)

480.753.7913 (Cell)

mstrassel@myrgroup.com

www.sturgeonelectric.com

Sturgeon red copy.gif

Confidential and proprietary information of MYR Group Inc. Unauthorized use, disclosure, or reproduction is strictly prohibited.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

• 5.  RE: Filtered User Dropdown

Posted 01-11-2021 14:32
    First, those fields have to be part of a relationship to the Employees table. Then, in the element properties on the form, you would select what report to use for the display.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/