Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

• 1.  Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 06-17-2020 09:52
    Hi 
    I am importing some date from csv through import from file functionality. while adding the records in this attached step, is there any functionality which i can implement in such a way...i should be able to select the records from the excel for them to be on QB table.

------------------------------
    Gowtham Vemuri

• 2.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 06-18-2020 09:20
    Hi Gowtham,

There is not a way to upload an entire spreadsheet into Quick Base and then go back to select which lines of the spreadsheet you wish to import into Quick Base. For that you would want to go through your spreadsheet before the upload and clean your data. Once the upload is set up and running in Quick Base you can leave out fields/columns from the import but not records. I hope this information is helpful.

If being able to better manage which records are getting uploaded into Quick Base would be helpful I would suggest leaving that as feedback on our User Voice. User Voice is a tool our product team uses to help track interest in new features and enhancements to existing features. The Quick Base User voice can most easily be accessed from the My Apps page in Quick Base by clicking on the orange Feedback tab that appears on the right of the page or at http://quickbase.uservoice.com by signing in with your Quick Base credentials. If you have any trouble signing in directly with the URL going through the Feedback tab on the My Apps page most often resolves them. If you do decide to share this feedback, if you post a link back here in this community thread if there are other community members with the same need they can vote to show their support.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 3.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 06-18-2020 10:00
    One approach that I just thought of would be to import the CSV Into a temporary table in your app and then push a button to run a save table to table import from the temporary table into your real table. The save table to table import would have filters which would allow you to control which records past the final hurdle to get into your real data.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 11-24-2020 14:12
    Hey Mark,
      I've had varying degrees of success with this temporary table approach, usually less so when dealing with larger data sets.  I've been using automations to try and mark records back and forth so that reactions can drive whether records are copied over. 
    For example (each step is a separate automation):
    Step 1: data drops into a temp table (this step is a Pipeline/MS Flow step)
    Step 2: the target table reacts to this and marks any "legacy records" already living in the target table by using a formula field, that concatenates 3 other fields and comparing to a field in the target's key.  The target table uses this concatenated field as it's key.
    Step 3: the temp table will then react and mark records that match in the target table, then delete itself.  (This step fails on data sets larger than 1000)
    Step 4: run a table to table import from temp to target on a schedule after all of those records have finished marking and deleting themselves.  These existing records should be unique.  (This step fails on data sets larger than 1000)
    Step 5: Uncheck all Legacy checkboxes in the target table on a schedule.  (This step fails on data sets larger than 1000)

Maybe I'm making this too complicated, but since this works on data sets smaller than 1000, it feels like I'm missing a simple way to make it all work.  In reading your response, I'd love to understand how to "push a button to run a save table to table import from the temporary table into your real table".  Since my attempt at automating this task is not working well, maybe a manual approach with actual working steps like yours would be a better place for me to work from.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Marc

Marc Barry

• 5.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 11-24-2020 14:21
    If are simply asking how to create a formula URL button which will run a saved table to table copy and refresh the page you were on it would be

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID of the target table from Advanced Properties] & "?act=API_RunImport&ID=10;

"javascript:" &
    "$.get('" &
    $URL &
    "',function(){" &
    "location.reload(true);" &
    "});"
    & "void(0);"

n the code above you need to enter the ID for the saved T2T import. In my case it was 10.  You see that in the URL when you edit the saved T2T import.

Typically I make a table called like Admin Import and make a single record, which will be [Record ID#]= 1.

Then I can use that to hold my button and to make relationships to count, for example how many records on the scratchpad and to put buttons to lead the user to the Import /Export page.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 11-24-2020 17:50
    Woah. So your code above runs a table to table import?! I've been using code to check a box, and have that trigger an automation to run the import. This is so much better.

Mike Tamoush

• 7.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 12-01-2020 12:46
    You can do the same thing with webhooks and Pipelines too but you are then limited to refreshing every hour at maximum. Better than an automation which is only daily, or triggered in some other way like you did with the checkbox. I used the Pipelines method to trigger multiple T2T imports that need to happen at once, it works pretty well.

• 8.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 12-21-2020 23:45

Mark,

I tried this code to run a T2T import without success. I found one missing quotation mark after the '10' in the variable text, and the URL button seems to think and then refresh the page, but the import does not run. I went in to edit the import and my number is actually 10 as well. Is there any other common errors? Do I need to add an app token to run a T2T?

Mike Tamoush

• 9.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 12-22-2020 00:02

If you have the need for app tokens enabled in advanced settings for the App,  then for sure you need one as you need an App token for any update API (Add Edit Delete).

That javascript code snippet hides the error message.  Guessing that you need an app token does not fix the problem then the generic way to debug these is to do this.

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID of the target table from Advanced Properties] & "?act=API_RunImport&ID=10;

$URL

//"javascript:" &
    //"$.get('" &
    //$URL &
    //"',function(){" &
    //"location.reload(true);" &
    //"});"
    //& "void(0);"

So add in $URL and comment out the javascript)

That will run  the URL  and any messages of success or failure will blurt out on the screen.  You get a blurb that says no error then you go back to the original code. 

If you have the need for application tokens enabled, then you need to do this.var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID of the target table from Advanced Properties] & "?act=API_RunImport&ID=10

& "&apptoken=cxcxcxcxcxcxcxxcxcxcx";

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Delete records while adding the records via import from CSV

Posted 12-22-2020 12:29

Dang, I almost had it. I tried last night but put the & apptoken before the run import API, which of course in hindsight doesn't make sense. Worked with the apptoken! Thanks!

Mike Tamoush