Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 14:20
    The fields for the notification get changed (there are 3 fields with ANY/OR).

The notification is permission 'open'

Notify Whom is a Email field in the table.

Message type is custom.

I am using only the Single Record Version tab.

I have the single record Add/Edit radio button checked.  The 3 fields are checkboxes checked via Automation and they are getting checked as desired (daily).

The notification worked when I put in a specific Whom internal email address.  

I am not sure how to troubleshoot why the email isn't getting sent and why.

------------------------------
    Katherine Oakey

• 2.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 14:25
    If you are using an Automation to do a mass update to trigger a whole bunch of email Notifications I believe that the system considers this to be a multi record change. As a result your notification is only triggering on a single record change. So the notification will not fire.

However if you did the same mass update using a pipeline then the system will see those individual record changes and fire your individual email notifications to your external recipients. 

You can try pushing the button to convert your automation to a pipeline and see if it can be automatically migrated.  If not then you will have to build a pipeline from scratch yourself.   Note that once you create the pipeline you will have to check to make sure the Pipeline is turned on and make sure that the automation is replacing is turned off.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 14:35
    Hummm...

The Automation checks a box if a date field = a specific date in the future so, yes, more than one record could have its check box set to 'checked'.

I didn't think I was doing a 'multiple' record check although yes, more than one record could be checked with resulting notification.

I'll give the Pipeline a whirl.  I don't know pipelines well yet and couldn't figure out how to do this in a pipeline but yup, see if the migration can figure it out :)

Katherine Oakey

• 4.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 14:41
    I don't think it migrated to a pipeline successfully.

I'll have to puzzle through what this Pipeline does (it's using terms like 'Upset' that I've not seen/heard before).

Katherine Oakey

• 5.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 14:42
    NB, it also says 'invalid date' for the migration date from Automation to Pipeline.

Katherine Oakey

• 6.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 15:10
    I've done more poking...

Even though a Bulk Upsert block is being used, as long as it is nested in a For Each block I should be good with getting an individual record update and the resulting external Notification to an external user Email field?

I have 3 automations, two of which have run for this event but I can update the one that should run tomorrow morning and see what happens :)

Katherine Oakey

• 7.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 15:11
    A Bulk Upsert will be a mass update, so you don't want that.  You just want to search the records for the qualifying records and then 

FOR EACH

do the update.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 15:12
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 09-08-2021 15:13
    The Automation  probably migrated in a way that was most efficient for QuickBase to process.  That would be to use the Bulk Upsert.

But it will not meet your needs. So you will not be able to use the method that the migration tool suggested.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: What am I missing with open email notification to an external Email field

Posted 09-08-2021 15:13
    Why does the 'Last Completed Migration' have an invalid date?

Does that mean it didn't migrate successfully?

Katherine Oakey