Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  File present at URL?

Posted 08-17-2020 07:11
    Hi

Is there anyway within a formula field to check if a file is present at a URL (a file uploaded to Amazon S3)?

In other words (in quasi code / plain english)...

If a file is present (or maybe we use if file size is >0) at a specified URL, return 'true', otherwise return 'false'.

Thanks

David

------------------------------
    dmlaycock2000 dmlaycock2000

• 2.  RE: File present at URL?

Posted 08-17-2020 11:43
    Hi David,

Within a standard formula field that wouldn't be possible, formula fields look into QB and data contained on the same table within an application to make decisions on data. It may be possible to build an API call or Pipeline that can kick off to query your outside system and bounce back a response to update a Quick Base table but that would require a bit more complicated a build then a formula fix. So with the URL you would provide to it you are looking to have a system go out to that URL and check a field in a form on that service to see if a file attachment is present and then if not write back into QB an update on the record to say yes or no?

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 3.  RE: File present at URL?

Posted 08-17-2020 11:49
    HI Evan,

Thanks for your response.

I've found a solution using Zapier - but suspect pipelines would work too.

Basically, I've created a table in Quickbase where the key is the S3 file key (filename and path).

Zapier populates this table whenever a file is uploaded to S3.

My main table then joins to this S3 files table using the key (which is determined programatically based on the record ID) so if the file has been uploaded to S3, it will be in the table, and there will be a match.

I think this is broadly in line with what you were thinking.

From there it's easy, and it's working fine.

David

dmlaycock2000 dmlaycock2000

• 4.  RE: File present at URL?

Posted 08-17-2020 14:43
    Hi David,

I am really glad to hear you were able to find a solution with Zapier, yeah that is very close to what I was thinking though with some different pieces than Zapier. It is a really handy integration tool.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base