Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Automation - Trying to "copy value from another field" but no options for values appear

Posted 10-08-2021 15:41
    I am setting up an Automation in which the action fills a field using the option "copy value from another field." The field I am trying to fill is a date field named "Date Immediate Needs Addressed". When I try to specify a value nothing appears. I am sure I am missing something obvious, but after reading through QuickBase guidance I'm still unsure. (I've also tried choosing other fields under Field, but still no options appear under Value.)

Thoughts? Why can't I select a Value? 

------------------------------
    Chyanne

• 2.  RE: Automation - Trying to "copy value from another field" but no options for values appear

Posted 10-08-2021 16:18
    Is this a Scheduled Automations and you are trying to populate a field on each filtered record from another field on the same record?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Automation - Trying to "copy value from another field" but no options for values appear

Posted 10-08-2021 16:25
    I think that's a fair summary. I am trying to identify certain records and then edit one field on those records. 

I am filtering for records in which the [# of Immediate Needs NOT] = 0 AND [Date Immediate Needs Addressed] = <blank> (I temporarily put a date instead of blank). I want to then put a date in the field [Date Immediate Needs Addressed].

Chyanne

• 4.  RE: Automation - Trying to "copy value from another field" but no options for values appear

Posted 10-08-2021 17:32
    Right, so I have run into this exact same problem myself. If the automation had a trigger record then the fields from the trigger record would be available. But because it is a scheduled automation there is no trigger record.

So I think there are two alternatives. One is to set up a saved table to table copy with those same filters on white records need to be updated and have the scheduled automation run that on your schedule.  It remains to be seen what QuickBase plans for us when it comes to the migration of automations for running saved table to table imports. But at a minimum it will be possible to manually convert that automation by calling the API in the pipeline. 

The other alternative  would be to have an automation update each of those records and apply a checkbox to a certain field. Then you can have another automation the triggers when the checkbox is changed to do the actual update you were looking for. Since the second one will be based on a trigger event rather than a schedule you will find that the fields from the trigger record will be available to you.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Automation - Trying to "copy value from another field" but no options for values appear

Posted 10-08-2021 17:37
    Ah, interesting. This is a great help, thank you. So the option to choose a value to copy would be available if I was creating a trigger automation. Will try these alternatives, thanks!

Chyanne