Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Change Column names on reports

• 1.  Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 13:45
    I have seen some information about issues changing the column names on reports, but an not finding where to go to change the column names on reports.  Please help.

------------------------------
    Paul Peterson

• 2.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 14:10
    On the report.
    https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/changing_field_name.html?Highlight=column%20name

Hidden in the fine details
    "Tip: If you just want a different label to appear in a report, change the column heading. To do so, click the column heading menu and select Column properties. Within the Column Properties dialog, type in the name that you want to display at the top of the column (300 character limit). This name will appear above the column in this report only, and if you save the report as a spreadsheet. The field name remains the same. "

Jim Harrison

• 3.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 14:26

That explains why I couldn't find how.  I was looking in the wrong location.  

Now for the next question, and I have a pretty good idea what the answer will be.  Is it possible to change the names in just 1 report?

Paul Peterson

• 4.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 14:51
    Next dumb issue, I don't see a column heading menu

Paul Peterson

• 5.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 15:06
    There is a white triangle drop down if you hover on the right of the black heading.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 10-07-2020 11:33
    Hi, Mark, 
    Am I crazy or has the "column properties" been removed from report headings?
    I can see these options:
    Report Header Options
    I wish table columns had "Report Alias" built into the tables.  I need descriptive column names for building the application, but the report columns are ridiculously long now.  And I'd be willing  to change the names in individual reports but don't see a way to do it despite the instructions in this Q&A thread.

Myra Canterbury

• 7.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 10-07-2020 11:36
    Are you on a report?  You need to be on a specific report and not just the "default report" perhaps on a table home page.  There is no global override, it's report by report.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 10-07-2020 12:02
    Gotcha!  I opened a report for editing, clicked on the Display button, clicked on the column dropdown arrow, saw the "Column Properties", and made my changes. 

As always, thank you for generously sharing your QB knowledge!

Myra

• 9.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 10-07-2020 12:39
    One other thing I've done to try and fix this in a permanent way (across all reports) is to create Columns using formula fields.  The formula sets the value to the original column name imported from an external system.  The field name is a short version of the original column name.  And the formatting of the new column is probably different to allow for a better look than what's  in the source data.  Then when creating the reports, I use the formula fields.  

Either way it's a lot of work that could be eliminated with an AliasName for each column in a table.

Myra

• 10.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 14:51
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 05-15-2020 15:29
    A tip that Jim provided above applies to only one report. If you want the labels to change on all reports  then you would typically change the native field name.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Change Column names on reports

Posted 05-15-2020 15:12
    PERFECT!!!  That's exactly what I needed to find.  I am only trying to change the heading in one report, at least for now.

Thank you both!!

Paul Peterson