Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Delivery Scheduling

Posted 01-11-2021 11:59
    Hello,

I have a project where I want to track deliveries. There are contractors who make the deliveries, and the contractors are connected to a project. I want a way where the contractor can select the time they will be making the delivery. If the time has already been selected for that project for that day then they are unable to select it. 

Having trouble accomplishing this. Any suggestions? I think what I would do is have a table for time, and have a record for each hour. Then have the record picker in the add delivery form, and have them mark the delivery with a date. If that time-date combination already existed for that project, then it is not available to select. 

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Mackenzie Phillips

• 2.  RE: Delivery Scheduling

Posted 01-11-2021 14:24
    I think you're on the right track. You'll need your "Deliveries" table to be a child of the Project and probably have a field for "Contractor" that would be a user field. I would also set the permissions for the role the Contractors are in to only be able to edit a "Deliveries" record if that "Contractor" field is blank OR it is their user. And don't let them edit the "Date" or "Time" field on the records.

Also, when you're adding this to your Project form, I would have it so that when a Contractor looks at it, you have one of two setups:
    1. The Contractor sees a button - "Choose Delivery Slot" - that updates the "Contractor" field automatically. This button would also need to be shown as "Release Delivery Slot" if the current user is in the "Contractor" field so that they can remove their selection and choose another time.
    2. The list of available Dates/Times is setup as editable on the Project Form
    I would lean towards option 1, though, since you will have more control over permissions and it would make for a better user experience.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 3.  RE: Delivery Scheduling

Posted 01-12-2021 08:44
    Hi Blake,

Hope all is well. Thank you for this info on the setup. To add to what Mackenzie said above, 

Our Projects table is currently the parent to "Deliveries" so all deliveries are linked directly to a project. We also have a Contractors table that is linked both to "Deliveries" and "Projects" as well. In this scenario, our contractor can have many folks accessing the Deliveries area, so i created a User List field in the Contractor table and made it so that the members of that "Contractor" are only able to view/modify records that they created but are unable to change dates/times once a record has been submitted. 

In your response above you mentioned in one of the Two Setups. 

1. The Contractor sees a button - "Choose Delivery Slot" - that updates the "Contractor" field automatically. This button would also need to be shown as "Release Delivery Slot" if the current user is in the "Contractor" field so that they can remove their selection and choose another time.
    When the contractor is filling out a delivery form for the project, and hits Choose Delivery Slot, would the button pull up a record picker of available times from another table (Like a Time Tracker table) and assign it that day, contractor, project? 

That is where I am struggling on, is configuring a dynamic dropdown that queries a table for all available times for the day for that particular project.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

Dave Medeiros

• 4.  RE: Delivery Scheduling

Posted 01-12-2021 10:35
    Dave,

Where is the data of available times? 
    Is it unique to every Project?  
    Is it a common set of times that applies to all Projects?

Does either diagram describe the app correctly?

Also is there more than one delivery allowed per day?

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH

• 5.  RE: Delivery Scheduling

Posted 01-12-2021 10:40
    Dave & Mackenzie, I do know a native technique which would allow you to launch off a Project and be presented with a regular Quick Base Table Report of Qualifying Open Delivery Slots (so dynamic filters and filter box is available) and click to select which Delivery Slot. 

It would probably be an hour or two of consulting time.  Contact me directly by email if you want to take this off line.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com