Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

• 1.  Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-11-2019 15:17
    Hi Team,

I have created an automation however it's getting failed with Action Execution Exception: Number of records returned exceeded max of 1000. 

Records which are getting updated are more than 1000 in count.. What needs to be done in such scenarios.

Thanks,
    Vijay

------------------------------
    vijay singh

• 2.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 08:15
    You can split this into multiple Automations or probably a better suggestion if your are editing records is to use a saved table to table import which runs extremely quickly and has no limit on the number of records. I don't know what the nature of the updates you are doing to know if that is an option for you, but you can import a table into itself merging on Record ID and update a data entry field from a formula field.

But if you want to keep using your same method, you can for example use the REM function on the Record ID to determine the remainder when say divided by 3.  REM([Record ID#],3) will return either a 0, 1 or a 2.

So you can add that as a filter to the Automation and run 3 separate Automations and each would be 1/3rd of the data.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 10:53
    Thanks Mark.. 

I will try the Remainder option as table to table import won't work in my case .. 

Also another quick question if you can help - Was trying to create an automation to populate a TEXT field which is also a Primary Key in that table..This column was made PK as need to join another table using this column. Column value could be derived by combining another 2 columns in the same table so no need to make it for manual entry for the users to fill in. 

Here is the challenge- 

Initially i thought of  creating an action where if a record is added in that table then modify this column with another formula field (contains calculated PK value), but i don't see this PK column in the modify section to get formula field value assign to it. 

Later i though of creating 2 actions, add a record with PK column value from formula field and delete the already added record (PK column was set to populate with default value).. This works but then i am unnecessarily creating an extra record here which is triggering other actions too..

So thought of checking if there is a easy way to create an automation to update the PK column from a formula field.

Thanks,
    Vijay

vijay singh

• 4.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 11:02
    Automations, Actions and Webhooks all fire after the record is saved.  The only way to pre-populate a field is using form rules, as they can populate a field at all times and also "when the record is saved". 

So if the data entry is manual on a form, then you can use a form rule, alternatively, your solution sounds like it would work, save the record with a temporary Key fields and then use an Automation to recreate the record with a correct Key field and then delete the temporary one.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 11:20
    My solution is working - recreate the record with a correct Key field and then delete the temporary one

Just that there are couple of other actions on a delete and new entry in the table and those are being triggered due to this which i don't want if a record is added/deleted after this automation run.  If there is anyway to handle this?

I had tried the form way of handling this but it didn't work. Here is what i had used

Secondly, i can see automation is getting turned off automatically. Is this because of Error count is increasing or any other reason.

vijay singh

• 6.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 11:25
    On the form uncheck that checkbox at the bottom of the screen shot.  That should fix the form rule.  I also typically include a Condition in the form rule to only fire when those two values are not already the same.

As for the other Automations firing, you could flag the record initially created by the Automation so that you could then add a filter to the other Automations to not trigger on those ones.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 11:43
    Thanks Mark for quick responses .. Will try both the options you suggested. 

Any update on other question i mentioned- Secondly, i can see automation is getting turned off automatically. Is this because of Error count is increasing or any other reason.

vijay singh

• 8.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 13:11
    Yes, if you have too many error it will turn off the Automations and send you an email saying that it did that.  I'm not sure exactly the defination of "too many".   It has to do with too many over a given period.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 16:17
    I am able to achieve this by automation firing by setting up the flag value .. 

But it didn't work using the FORM rule without checkbox selection also.. Not sure if we can not assign a formula field value to the PK column using automation.

Here is the logic for formula field- It's combination of "Milestone Name" value with "Related Batch" using operator "_"  Related Batch is being decided based on another field..

[Milestone Name]&"_"&
    If([Milestone Level - Benavides] = "Batch",ToText([Related Batch]),
    If([Milestone Level - Benavides] = "Project",[Related Project],
    If([Milestone Level - Benavides] = "Site",ToText([Related Site])
    )))

vijay singh

• 10.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 16:19
    Do you have that formula field on the form?  I have found that calculated fields need to be on the form to have them update

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 16:48
    No. It was not their on the form.. I added and it worked.. Thanks for all your help Mark . Appreciate it

vijay singh

• 12.  RE: Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Posted 09-12-2019 17:11
    Note that the field does not have to be visible on the form.  I make a section at the bottom of the form called Reqd for form rules. 

Then I use a rule like 
    when [some data entry field] is not 999999999
    Action hide section Reqd for form rules

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com