Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

• 1.  When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 11:51

Curious to hear if there is a Use Case where this is not checked by default. 

------------------------------
    Jim Harrison

• 2.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:00
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 11-06-2019 12:14
    Warning: Rant follows.

If there is a use case, it's certainly the "edge cases" like 1% of the time.

imho it hurts the new user experience to not default this for new apps and new tables.  For us old dogs just makes us feel stupid when we forget to check the box for a new table which then ends up being used as a Parent table. For all the work that Quick Base does to try to make the new developer experience more friendly, such as the New Drag and Drop App design interface, this small change would make a huge difference to the New User experience and hence the stickiness of new Quick Base prospects on a 30 day trial.

The checkbox's behavior should be changed to default to checked on newly created tables in all interface methods of creating a new table.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:07
    Mark,

Myself and many I have spoken to concur that this should be default behavior of Quick Base when building a table.

I also believe every relationship should have a default-summary "count" of child records too.

Laura Thacker (IDS)
    laura@intelligentdbs.com
    (626) 771 0454

• 4.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:12
    Maybe our moderator, Evan, has an idea of who to pass a link to this discussion to at Quick Base.  Someone responsible for the New User Experience, perhaps.  i know there is User Voice as a channel, but this is one that mainly benefits New Users, who would not even understand the issue let alone figure out how to vote for it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:31
    Can you explain to me the benefits of having this checked on every table? In the app I work in I would say that pretty much none of the tables have this checked. What are we missing out on by not having it checked on a table that is the parent to many? 

Everyone that posted here talked about how they wish it was the default but didn't go into why it should be. Not everyone is going to just "get it" and I am in that group myself here. Maybe I am missing something simple.

• 6.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:45
    So when a user is filling out a parent form what they expect is to work their way down the form, say a New Client form, and fill in the boxes.  Then they get to the button that says Add Child, (say Add Contact - one client has many contacts).  So they just expect to keep working by clicking that Add Contact button. 

But if you do not remember to check that box, then they get this most confusing pop up asking if they want to save their data.  Well duh, of course they want to save the data that they just laboriously filled in all the boxes on the form, and now they are ready to add a contact.

By checking the box, the system behaves arguably "properly", auto saves and then the user continues with adding their child (say contact info).

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:47
    With Kirk Trachey's help I have reached out by email to Harrison Hersch who is a Product Manager at Quick Base and "a good guy".

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 12:54
    Harrison says
    Have you added this to UserVoice or voted on it if it is there? Defaults are tricky business in Quick Base!
    We won't be making any changes to the current forms because we are starting new ones soon. That being said, we are grooming in detail all of the feedback from UserVoice as we think through the scope and what to focus on. Having one source of truth for this content is very important.

I added a user voice here. Feel free to vote

https://quickbase.uservoice.com/forums/111823-quick-base-product-feedback/suggestions/31522042-save-parent-record-automatically-when-a-child-reco

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-07-2019 09:59
    I'm glad that Kirk was able to get you in touch with Harrison cause that is pretty much exactly who I would have recommended as well for this one. I know back when I was with Care checking that box was helpful for a number of small problems users had, and with something so simple like a checkbox behavior it can be easy to miss when worrying about things that are more elaborate so it is great to get feedback from users about things like that which we could be making better and Harrison is right the more we put in User Voice and focus on User Voice the more we can collect all this awesome feedback.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 10.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 14:31
    Thank you for the explanation. I can see how that could be valuable. Especially if you knew that beforehand and built the app and each form with that in mind.

• 11.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-06-2019 13:45
    One issue we have noticed is the following:
    1. add new parent
    2. add new child from parent
    parent prompts to save
    3. click yes
    taken to new child
    4. complete child and save
    does not return to parent
    user clicks browser back button to return to parent
    when user arrives at parent, save prompt is displayed, user clicks save

result:
    second parent is created

expected:
    user is returned to parent upon save of child

Jim Harrison

• 12.  RE: When is this not Required? Save parent record automatically when a child record is created.

Posted 11-07-2019 10:03
    Hi Jim,

I have seen the same before and it crops up due to the parent record not having a Record ID at the time the save happens. One thing I have done in instances like that is to either make a button that appears on the child record after it is saved that says "Back to Parent" that is nice and prominent that uses the Related Parent field to take the user back to Parent Records or I have changed the standard redirect to instead drop you on the parent table homepage after using that button to create a child record from the Parent record to bring the user right back to the parent table at least even when a record didn't have a Record ID at the time the button was hit.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base