Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Empower: App Library

• 1.  Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 06-15-2020 14:43
    Just wanted to start a thread around the App Library that I presented on during Virtual Empower 2020.
    My hope is that this can be a place to share other use cases you've come up with, or simply ask questions if you've hit a snag.

If you haven't seen it, you can find the demo app in the Exchange by searching App Library.

------------------------------
    Ryan Pflederer
    Implementation Consultant
    Quick Base

• 2.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 06-28-2020 22:00
    Ryan,
    I ran your app today. It saved a lot of time and makes documentation easier- which is always a good thing. 
    Thanks for putting this together
    Looking forward to the next version with queries

Richard Chagnon
    Chicago IL

• 3.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 08-04-2020 09:31
    Hi guys,
    I downloaded the updated app and it pulls the info from my applications flawlessly.  However, the bulk updating does not work for me.  I created the pipeline as instructed, however, I noticed that there are no records being created in the schema changes table to trigger the pipeline to run.  Any help would be fantastic!  I have a lot of field comments to add to my app.

Charlene Wilbur

• 4.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 09-16-2020 17:41
    I love this app and the concept and execution is great. Thanks for creating it!

Would it be possible to also incorporate the Get Reports for Table API in addition to the existing ones? I'd love to be able to track all the existing reports in my apps.

I'd also love to track notifications but I don't think there's an API for that.

• 5.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 09-25-2020 08:43
    @Tyler Brezler @Richard Chagnon I just published an updated version which includes Reports. One of the great things about the new RESTful Get Reports API is that it includes both Common and Personal reports, as well as the Last Used date and Used Count for all reports!

@Charlene Wilbur​ It sounds like you may have missed getting the necessary webhooks setup to populate the Schema Changes table. When reviewing the additional setup instructions I believe it's the first step. There's also now a link on that page to a video of me walking through the additional setup.

Ryan Pflederer
    Quick Base

• 6.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 01-05-2021 10:00
    I've just published an updated version to the exchange. Here's a few of the updates:
    • Capturing App Events
    • Capturing Table-to-Table Relationships
    • Added a Status to Applications and Tables to quickly identify possible areas for improvement based on Best Practices
    • Added a few reports to provide additional insights

Ryan Pflederer
    Quick Base

• 7.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 01-05-2021 11:04
    I've just downloaded the app and started testing it out with a smaller app. When the script hits Get Reports for one of the tables, though, I'm getting a permissions error and the script crashes.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 8.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 02-10-2021 19:57
    Hi Ryan, this app is great! It definitely helps with many aspects of configuring QB apps!

I have a question about configuring apps that I add to the Library that are from different realms. I was able to set up the Pipelines to update changes in the to the apps, but making changes fires off all the Pipelines. the Correct Pipeline makes the changes, but the other Pipelines that are not related to the app I'm updating fire and return access errors. In your instructional video you mentioned that additional lines of logic need to be added to the YAML code. Could you help me out with this? I would like only the relevant Pipeline to trigger but due to the YAML code, I am not able to edit/update the Pipeline...

Daniel Park

• 9.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 02-11-2021 09:09
    Hi Daniel!

Within your existing Pipelines, you can update these to be realm specific by simply adding this AND{38.EX.'realmName'} to the Advanced Query in Step A. Just swap out realmName with the name of a specific realm. Once this is completed the Pipeline will only trigger on changes to that particular realm. Just make sure that you've got the right usertoken coupled with the realm.
    Hope this helps!

Ryan Pflederer
    Quickbase

• 10.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 02-17-2022 12:26
    Just downloaded the app and am starting to dig into it.  Getting things linked up was super easy (once I referenced the application and not a specific table).  One question though; when I go to the Fields table it displays all the fields but it is showing me I have an empty field?

When I look at the list of fields for my tables and compare that to the source app field list it appears as if some fields weren't captured when refreshing the schema.  Any reason why the code used to generate an applications documentation would skip or not include certain fields?  

Specifically I have a parent-child relationship between 2 tables.  The child table contains some additional lookup data fields from its parent.  All fields are still in use and working as expected within the source application, however in the App Library one of the child look up fields is returning as empty (all other look up fields returned as expected).  When looking at the inventory of these tables within the Library application field 30 of the child and field 14 of the parent aren't listed (child 30 pulls from parent 14).  The parent field type is currency and doesn't have any other special conditions applied to it.

Just odd that all other lookup fields were captured/documented, but these two were not.

Thanks

Ember

• 11.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 03-22-2021 16:18
    Hi Ryan

Is there a way to get the Date of the recently modified record for tables? I think the definition of "Updated Date"  in your App is different from what I am looking for? 

Thanks in Advance

Karthik Sekhar

• 12.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 03-23-2021 12:09

Hey @Karthik Sekhar

Are you looking for the date that the table record was updated within the Tables table? (hopefully that's not too confusing, haha) If so, the default Date Modified should do the trick.

If you're looking for the date of the most recent record update within the documented table (ex: Clients table, date of the most recently updated client record), this data isn't currently available in the RESTful APIs. However I do see that it's available in the XML APIs if you wanted to venture down that road.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Ryan Pflederer
    Quick Base

• 13.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 05-18-2021 09:43
    Thanks Ryan for your response. Is there any way we can automate the button click to refresh schema? Currently, we have to manually click the button and enter the User Token to run the refresh.

Karthik Sekhar

• 14.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 06-21-2021 11:13
    I am looking for the same functionality as @Karthik Sekhar requested.
    Would love to be able to track schema updates as they happen (or at the very least, daily) without having to manually refresh.
    Thank you!​

SCS DEVELOPMENT

• 15.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 06-21-2021 11:55
    To setup an automatic refresh, you would need to use something like Pipelines, Workato, or an externally hosted script that would update the app using stored credentials. I am assuming you could use the code pages that Ryan has setup in the app as a starting point, though.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 16.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 06-21-2021 14:53
    Thank you @Blake Harrison!
    @Ryan Pflederer, wondering if you have any tips on this (updating schema automatically). Also wondering if there is an error log functionality to record "event" errors.
    Overall, this app is great! I'm excited to​​ maximize all its capabilities to help us better document and clean up our app.​​​

E. P.

• 17.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 06-22-2021 09:59

@ELANA METH in order to be able to run this on a schedule you'd need to create a Pipeline (or other similar server side script) to do all of the processing. I've started working on a Pipeline for this a couple of times since it's been highly requested, however simply don't have the time to complete it. With that said, if someone does create a PL for it and is willingly to share the YAML I'd be happy to add it into the app.​​

In terms of event errors, this app is populated with data extracted via APIs. Currently there aren't any APIs which expose these details, however I do try to keep the app up-to-date with any new APIs that are released.

Ryan Pflederer
    Quick Base

• 18.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 11-08-2022 17:56
    Hi Ryan,

I know this is old, but I am using the App Library and for all my tables it seems to be omitting any field of type "currency" or "formula-currency".

How can I get a complete list of fields from each table?

Thank You,
    Dave

David Revel

• 19.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 11-09-2022 16:34
    The issue seems to be related to the field type of currencyFormat in the apps Fields table (FID 68)

In the app it is set to a type "numeric" however the API that retrieves the fields returns a string value for this property resulting in this line erroring out.

It is possible that it once returned 0,1,2 corresponding to left middle and right.

Changing the field type in the app to text and refreshing the schema will fix the problem

Simon H

• 20.  RE: Virtual Empower: App Library

Posted 11-14-2022 05:36
    Hi Ryan thanks for this app.  I was able to set it up and add my apps.  But when I try the additional set up, after adding the web hooks, when I follow the instructions for setting up the pipelines using the YAML that is generated I get an error message that simply states "Error creating pipeline!"

I'm stuck at this step. Do you have any tips to for troubleshooting?  I'm confident that the user token and slug are correct.

Paul Easton