Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  New QB Report Columns Unable to Filter Multiple Choices

Posted 07-10-2021 14:34
    Hello,

With the new QB in Reports I see that you can filter for multiple options.  I have one column that only allows one choice although there are 240 members in that column.  I checked and made sure that the Field Properties match with the other columns but still only offered one choice.  Is there anyway to make this a multiple choice filter?

------------------------------
    Joan Plesa

• 2.  RE: New QB Report Columns Unable to Filter Multiple Choices

Posted 07-10-2021 15:47
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 07-10-2021 16:00
    I am not sure without testing what the limit is for the maximum number of  choices offered as being able to be selected but above some number it just becomes a free form field that you can type into. Imagine if you had 10,000 choices.   Obviously that would be a crazy number so they have to pick some limit. 

However in both the filter box or also in any column you can put all or part of your search terms separated by OR  in capital letters. 

So for example if it was a list of pets you could type in 

cats OR dogs OR gerbils 

The name of the pet is not case sensitive but the OR must be upper case.  And of course you don't need to type the complete word that you're searching as it will get hits on partial phrases.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: New QB Report Columns Unable to Filter Multiple Choices

Posted 07-10-2021 20:27
    I'm not sure if I phrased the wording correctly of my problem.  I have a report.  See below for column names:

In all columns I can filter for multiple choices ie: Provider Status I can click on the filter and choose Active, Inactive and Pending from the drop down and it will show all Providers in those 3 statuses.  However when I click on Provider name it won't show a drop down and will only let me pick one Provider.  I would like to be able to filter for multiple providers.

Joan Plesa

• 4.  RE: New QB Report Columns Unable to Filter Multiple Choices

Posted 07-10-2021 22:16
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 07-10-2021 22:53
    Right, so I believe that  did understand your question and what I'm saying is beyond a certain number of choices they do not offer a drop down. So there is no way to get a drop down.
    My suggestion was if you know one or two or three provider names that you're looking for you can in fact search on them by name and you can choose multiples by separating the phrases by OR. 

So I was just trying to offer a next best alternative.

If you had some way to have a different report that had fewer different providers then it would offer a drop-down list.

For example if you made a summary report where the user drilled into a summary report and you set the table report as the target perhaps according to where they drilled down in the summary report they would be able to pre-filter the drill down target so that there would be fewer choices.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: New QB Report Columns Unable to Filter Multiple Choices

Posted 07-11-2021 11:54

OK.  I'm a little slow sometimes.  I just checked another App and the list of Providers is under 100 so does allow you a choice.  I'm guessing that's about the limit.  I guess that's one of the reasons I get frustrated with the new QB.  In the old version you can filter by Provider in the report I was talking about.  It's a bit more laborious but doable.  I'll advise my co-worker who requested the change to switch to old version while running the report as long as it's available.

Thanks so much for your help and support.  It was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure a way to do it! 

Thanks again!

Joan