Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Grandparent Form Record Linking

Posted 11-26-2020 07:28
    Hi everyone,

For everyone US based Happy Thanksgiving!  Up early and trying to knock out a few things on the long To Do list while it is quiet :)

One situation I have is linking (navigation) back to a grandparent record....  Let me explain my situation....  Here is my app structure

Projects < Opportunities < Orders

On Projects I have a field for Project Name.  It is a lookup on Opportunities and subsequently also on Orders, so its lineage follows from Projects to Opportunities to Orders.

When in an Order my users want a link or navigation method to get back to the root project.  I placed Project Name on the form, and selected to make it clickable in form properties.  However, since it comes from the Opportunities that is the record it returns my user to when clicked.  How do I force it to bring back to the root of the lineage, the Projects?  Or do I need to use a custom API button using a formula field to derive the current project number I am in?  That seems a bit ridiculous from a navigation standpoint....

------------------------------
    Ivan Weiss

• 2.  RE: Grandparent Form Record Linking

Posted 11-26-2020 08:35
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 01-20-2021 16:59
    np,
    you can make a hyperlink to go anywhere, just like any hyperlink anywhere on the internet.

var text Words = [Project Name];

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_PROJECTS] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Record ID# of Project]

// this last part is always the same

"<a href=" & $URL & ">" & $Words & "</a>"

Get the table name alias for [_DBID_PROJECTS] PROJECTS from the Advanced Properties page.  Get the Record ID of the Project from a lookup of [Related Project] from Opportunities.  But don't call it [Related Project] as it's not related.  Call it what it is, [Record ID# of Project].

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Grandparent Form Record Linking

Posted 01-20-2021 15:33
    I had this email sitting in my box and realized I never responded!  Hate leaving something unresponded, my apologies.  This worked beautifully!

Ivan Weiss